/e/ OS 'Q' alpha builds are coming!

To continue our journey of the Road map for /e/ device support

:loudspeaker: We are pleased to announce that the first set of /e/OS Android Q alpha builds are being released for user testing.

:thinking: What is an alpha build ?

It is a first cut of the /e/ ROM in the new /e/ Q OS code.

We will release the beta build for these device in 1-2 weeks.

An added advantage of flashing the ā€˜Qā€™ builds is you do not need to flash the beta or official builds as and when the come in. They will get updated OTA :slight_smile:

Based on user feedback which we will collect from this thread we will move the devices to official supported list.

The device list below will get more device names as we run more builds.

For the complete list of devices to be upgraded to ā€˜Qā€™

To be tested in these alpha builds

• /e/ Q code stability
  • eRecovery
  • OTA updates for Q builds

Stay tuned for further updates

Device list and download location :

Vendor Model Codename /e/ OS ver Download
Motorola Moto G7 river Q Officially Supported
Motorola Moto G7 Plus lake Q Officially Supported
OnePlus ā€˜7 Proā€™ guacamole Q Officially Supported
OnePlus OnePlus 7 guacamoleb Q Officially Supported
Sony Xperia Z3 z3 Q [Download]
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact z3c Q [Download]
Xiaomi ā€˜Mi MIX 2ā€™ chiron Q Download
Xiaomi Poco F1 beryllium Q [Download]
Essential PH-1 mata Q Officially Supported
Samsung Galaxy Note 9 crownlte Q [Download]
OnePlus 6 enchilada Q Officially Supported
OnePlus 6T fajita Q Officially Supported
Fairphone FP2 FP2 Q [Download]
Asus Zenfone 6 (ZS630KL) I01WD Q [Download]
OnePlus OnePlus2 OnePlus2 Q Officially Supported
OnePlus OnePlus3 OnePlue3 Q Officially Supported

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

9 Likes

I have compiled an unofficial version for the Xiaomi Mi A1 (tissot) with /e/-Q. The compilation went well, but after flashing it on boot it doesnā€™t go past the e-logo. Finally it restarts in Recovery, giving me the option to do a data format, but the problem is repeated. :confused:

If you build for Samsung Galaxy S9 (starlte) I can make tests on it if you give me some documentation to install it from Linux (with adb tool I suppose).
BTW, Iā€™ve received this phone last week, because announced compatible with /e/ Q, but Iā€™ve received it directly installed on Android 10 by my seller (Darty France), so Iā€™ve not tested anything on it for now (the documentation explain to not install oreo in this case)

1 Like

that;s really fast @Manoj !! compliments to the team!
As soon as the a3xelte and YTX703L are on the list Iā€™ll test them.

You can already get in the mood for /e/OS Android Q by installing the current LineageOS 17.1 ROM starlte.

Thank you @SuzieQ, but I would like to have microG installed correctly by default (LineageOS for microG is not yet released, and may be neverā€¦ but the master developer now works for the /e/ team)

Hi @lakano, is this a verifiable statement? Where did you get this interesting information from?

By the way: LineageOS 17.1 ROM for starlte was just an idea to shorten the waiting time for /e/OS Android Q.

I myself use the ROM ASOP Android 10 Havoc-OS v3.8 Official for ā€˜starlteā€™. I like it a lot because it is also open for Micro-G support (Signature Spoofing ready). MicroG can easily be installed via the official F-Droid repository.

Until you can use e/OS Android Q halfway, there will still be a lot of water of the Seine flowing from Paris to Le Havre.

So, stay healthy and confident. So long

Martin WiƟfeld is since this summer directly sponsorised per /e/ foundation, to help to supervise microG integration inside /e/ ( in french: https://www.toolinux.com/?e-OS-participe-au-developpement-de-microG )

1 Like

Iā€™m trying to manually build for river and hit the following issue:

error: system/extras/boot_control_copy/Android.bp:3:1: "bootctrl.copy" depends on undefined module "libbootloader_message"

What Iā€™m really trying to do is get an unofficial build for pixel3a, the river build is just to make sure I can build somethingā€¦ When I put stuff together for sargo (pixel3a) I get the same error.

An additional/alternate question I have is where do the device-specific repo manifests get pulled in in the official e CI builds? Iā€™ve looked through the docker scripts and donā€™t see it. If someone could point me to the right place Iā€™d really appreciate!

Thanks!

(NB: please donā€™t suggest I try e-pie, then I rather stay on LineageOS 17.1 and wait)

2 Likes

Yes @lakano, yes @LEPT, I am familiar with M. W. (see here). I read the term ā€œmaster developerā€ in a different context.

However, I donā€™t see a more intensive cooperation between M. W. and /e/ as a guarantor that /e/OS Android Q for for Samsung Galaxy S9 ā€˜starlteā€™ [and Galaxy S9+ ā€˜star2lteā€™] will become operational faster. The cooperation is rather an indication that there will be no /e/ OS without pre-installed MicroG for the time being. We will see how the numerous /e/ plans develop in the near future.

Very nice. Q is on the road! :smiley:

1 Like

Iā€™m now trying the docker build (docker-lineage-cicd) and I see an error early on, but so far it continuesā€¦ Trying to build river:

> docker run --rm -v /xtra/e-q-docker/src:/srv/src -v /xtra/e-q-docker/zips:/srv/zips -v /xtra/e-q-d
ocker/logs:/srv/logs -v /xtra/e-q-docker/ccache:/srv/ccache -e BRANCH_NAME=v1-q -e DEVICE=river
 -e CLEAN_AFTER_BUILD=false -e REPO=https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/os/releases.git build-e
[Thu Aug 27 23:52:01 UTC 2020] Starting build for river, v1-q branch
+ build/soong/soong_ui.bash --dumpvar-mode TARGET_DEVICE
23:52:35 Build sandboxing disabled due to nsjail error.
build/make/core/product_config.mk:223: error: Can not locate config makefile for product "lineage_ri
ver".
23:52:35 dumpvars failed with: exit status 1

Should this be posted as an issue at https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/backlog/-/issues ?

We had got a couple of issues to be fixed on the build side for Q. Hope to get the team to resolve them by next week.

1 Like

Sir,
Most of your builds are for mobiles which are no longer available for sale. If i want to install a eOS on brand new phone, there is hardly any option available. I request you to kindly build ROMs for mobiles which are atleast available in market for buying.

Regards,

1 Like

hi @ankit221215, welcome to the /e/community.

we are numerous who like to use second hand-devices for morals, ecologicals, politicals and economicals reasons.

we are users more than customers

i could advise you the Samsung Galaxy A5(2017) with 3GoRAM that i would buy if i have enough money, awaiting for the A10e in about 3years

Edit : some Xiaomi and the Oneplus have powerfull hardware

2 Likes

All of the phones listed at the top of this thread are available new according to gsm arena, even the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact which is quite an old phone with itā€™s 2014 release date! Thereā€™s a few listed on ebay uk.

One of the reasons why we still support ā€˜oldā€™ devices is to avoid e-waste. Not everyone can afford to throw away their phones after a year of useā€¦even those that can afford to do it prefer to retain the old smaller, easy to use handsets. Having said that we do plan to add newer devices to our our list. the problem is to get hold of their source code to port them.

3 Likes

LineageOS for microG has recently switched to ASOP Android 10 (Q). Here the second build lineage-17.1-20200826-microG-starlte.

1 Like

It is greatly appreciated that you recognize the need for supporting older phones.

When you already have an old phone, then it is obviously most sustainable to use that for as long as possible.

If you want to buy a used phone, then important details to watch out for is that it a) is supported by /e/ (or at least supported by LineageOS which should make it more likely to later be supported by /e/ as well), b) has replaceable battery (so it can last much longer).

Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300 fits the above requirements and used to be popular as used phone, also because of its modem isolation The similarly branded and seemingly slightly more popular i9305 is not supported in LineageOS.

Nowadays i9300 and i9305 are disappearing (at least in Denmark where I live), and is also arguably too slow to run the newest releases of Android.

It seems the best option that fits the above requirements nowadays is the Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo.
Please consider adding support for that model in /e/ - it is supported in LineageOS and works fine there.