4G not available as Preferred Network Type and LTE+ is pretty slow

Hello everyone,

I noticed from the Settings > SIM card > Preferred Network Type that the standard 2G / 3G / 4G are not available, I have lots of other choices instead (see attached image): GSM / LTE / CDMA.

Are these network types the only choice in LineageOS?

Thanks for your support and have a nice week-end,

William (HK)

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online services

The top two choices shown with LTE would/should be the equivalent of 4G. So if you’re data icon in the status bar shows LTE then you have 4G (LTE and HSPA+ are 4G technologies).
You should be good to go. Not sure about the speed issues though.

Hello Marc,

Thanks for your reply.
That confirms my web research, I am just surprised by the network speed difference before and after switching to /e/.

Cheers,

William

Hi @William_HK pl can you share what is the speed difference you have observed after switching to /e/ …is it better, equal or worse.

Hello @Manoj,

The internet speed from my 4G sim card is a lot slower and sending images or updating apps is a lot more difficult.
I am wondering if this happened to other users too.

Cheers,

William

Not sure how to troubleshoot that. Maybe check the APN settings for your provider. If in your APN settings you see IPv4/IPv6, maybe try changing it to just IPv6 or IPv4 (if still supported by your carrier). On all of my ROMs I still use the latter. T-Mobile in the U.S.

As far as other users input, specify details so those with a matching setup can chime in. Device, /e/OS build, carrier used, etc.

Regarding Preferred Network Type, I have a lot of choices. Where Global is available I usually choose that over GSM/WCDMA/LTE or even just LTE.
Try out a few things and see if anything improves.

Hello @marcdw,

Thanks for your awesome support, I noticed today that it was another wrong analysis from me (my bad again).
I used the LTE from another area and the internet speed was very fast (like 4G before switching to /e/.

Cheers,

William

1 Like