A new brand name for /e/OS - Murena

Own hardware, thats different.

1 Like

If it was their own hardware it should be named as they wish.

The downside that jumped out at me was the eshop advertising a Murena Galaxy. As a potential buyer I would then have to find out in what way it was not a Samsung. The benefit of a Samsung is the attractive hardware and build quality. I do not discount that Samsung made contributions to Linux. They have agreements forcing them to adopt bad paths in software but the “rebranding” might well be quite negative to them.

Samsung Galaxy from Murena - no issues.

1 Like

Can esolutions legally sale Samsung or Fairphone devices, rebranded as Murena, without mention of the original manufacturer ?
Especially for Samsung, don’t they need an agreement to do this?

@Manoj, i think it would be better to extract your announcement and all following replies into a new standalone topic. I think it’s clear this is important enough to warrant a new topic with the announcement as the first post.

1 Like

I was hoping to close this thread in a couple of days. The point was we needed a brand name. That part is complete now. This effectively closes the subject.
Now we can focus on topics that are more important like making the OS stable and reducing the number of bugs :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thanks for responding.

EDIT: I admit I only just noticed there has already been a standalone topic started by a user, so my request is unnecessary anyway. As always, I should pay more attention to the wise @AnotherElk :wink:

Yes, I think this should be a priority :+1:

3 Likes

I love the new name, and how it ties back to the old name eelo (murena/moray is a type of eel).

3 Likes

OK, then they should also have introduced a new cool logo with the beast on it at the same time. If you have a moray in the pocket it must be cool, not slimy.

Yes, let’s hope the logo won’t be too fishy.

1 Like

Bit dissapointing that this anouncement was just lost in the middle of this thread, for such a big topic and long awaited announcement it should have been at the top of the forum for everyone to see and talk about. Instead it kinda just died and got burried here straight away.

Also the notice “This topic has been solved, only reply if…” really discourages conversion about it.

Unfortunately my first impression is having the two names will cause confusion. When talking with people do I talk about /e/OS or Murena phones. Maybe I dont understand it yet.

I’m just going to continue calling it E until I do get my head around it.
Whats e?
Its a mobile OS.
Where do you find e?
e.foundation

7 Likes

When talking about Apple devices, I refer to “iPhones” if I am talking about the devices, and “iOS” if I am talking about the Operating System and the apps that run under it. Most people I talk to don’t get confused :slight_smile:

1 Like

Congrats what’s the pitch for the logo @Manoj ?

1 Like

Yeh I think I just need time to let the change sink in and come at it with a fresh mind.

As a native english speaker Murena sounds nice, rolls off the tongue easy, and is just a nice sounding name regardless of if there is a fish by that name. I’ve never heard of it.

In English, it’s a Moray Eel

1 Like

Some of the users mentioned we had not made a formal announcement of the brand name …I have created one now which is not much different from what is already mentioned here.
We are slowly making the changes across website and channels. As the /e/ name has been with us for more than 2 years it will take some time to get the brand name in place. Murena as some of you correctly mentioned is nearer to the original eelo or take on eel . Also it is easy to remember and use in a conversation! The brand identity showing up in web searches will take some time as this news will take some to spread around the web.

2 Likes

I noticed the use of the Greek letters Xi and Lambda in the Twitter handle. Be careful that you don’t get accused of cultural appropriation. People can be sensitive of such things. One might pronounce it “Murchnl”, in a similar way as the Korean car “Kil”. The logo looks better though, because it has that kind of styling across all letters.

They rarely complain about using arabic numerals all the time, though.

2 Likes

Congratulations to @Manoj and all the Murena team for all their hard work on the new name. For me, “that which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet.”

2 Likes

This seems to be the WORST possible outcome.

1. A large number of people hated /e/, which is unpronounceable and unsearchable. They decide to keep it as the name of the OS, the foundation, and their store. Why not just rename /e/OS to something else? That would solve 99% of the problems.

2. There are now two names: one name for the OS and a second for the names of the phones that are still sold by esolutions. In practice, very little appears to have changed.

3. The E foundation and E solutions appear to have kept the “E” branding in their names. Will this be changed in the future?

4. As for the name, are these just syllables, or does the name mean something?

So, Who came up with this idea, and why didn’t any of the other developers step up and challenge this ? If this was a top down directive without input from others, then, maybe the project is in trouble.

2 Likes