Advice on installation for FP3+ on Mac / Fastboot Mode

Hello
I recently (and happily) purchased an FP3+ and now wanting to run /e/OS
and get rid of the original Fairphone OS.
I am on a Apple 14’ M1 with Mac Ventura, and all went ok with the Easy Installer, until I got to the “Start device in Fastboot Mode” page and indeed the phone is recognised, but then nothing happens. I have waited much longer than 30 seconds, have changed cables, repeated operations, rebooted computer and phone multiple times, but do not seem to be able to go further with the installation. Any suggestion?

Thank you in advance for your insights.

UPDATE: I have found a way to have ADB and fastboot recognising my device, I then managed to unlock the fastboot, which seemed to be the problem, but the phone did a fresh installation of Android 11 instead of e/os/ :sweat_smile:

Fairphone OS and /e/OS are both Android variants. I assume what you meant is that what happened was a fresh installation of Fairphone OS again, right?

correct, I did a fresh installation of Fairphone OS instead of e/os

Just trying to find out what went wrong:
Did the Easy installer download and install a wrong file? Or was it actually just a factory reset? Or did you change the method (not Easy Installer)?

Thank you for trying to help. I did use the easy installer, and I am repeating all of the steps, to make sure that I did all correctly. I also did a new OEM unlock each time, sometimes the OEM is already unlocked and it asks for a restart, so I did try the restart, today I will concentrate mostly on that, because I feel that is where the problem is. On the terminal the adb recognise my device, and the fastboot does also recognise my device, but only when the device is in the mode shown in the picture. This is where the easy installer stops and I can’t go further and even if I unlock my phone from the terminal with ./fastboot oem unlock, all I get is to install the Fairphone OS again, which I have done 4 or 5 times now.

(could you edit your head post tags and add the “easy-installer” beside “support”? users subscribing to the tag that do ei-development will get it on their radar)

I see you use 0.15 … there were some commits in the repo relating to macos last few days, the 0.16 is already up the download page. Could you redo your steps with the newer .dmg?

1 Like

Someone else moved the tag for me, thank you @Manoj ! I saw there was a version 0.16 last night and already tried to work with it, same issue, I will do more try outs later and post the results.

On the photo you toke, we can see that the bootloader of your device has not being unlocked (last line : device state = locked)

1 Like

did you check what is said on the “V Log” expansion at the screen bottom? there’s some log output. Maybe the GUI is choosing the wrong fastboot exec path so it can never continue.

In the steps of the installer your photo is at “f1”, and wait-fastboot.sh is looping until it can grep for the “fastboot” string in the device list - only then (cc @piero) will the unlock happen at “f2” fp3_oem-unlock.sh

I ran the installer on an intel mac (with an FP3) and it worked. I wonder if its up to Rosetta. But then you get results when you run ./fastboot devices standalone. You mind posting the output (bar the device serial)?

You can skip the step where you follow fairphone website instructions btw after doing it once. And skip the relock at the end, you can do this after the first successful boot just to see if it trips on signatures.