Alternative keyboards for /e/?

hi all, just wanted to say i use Swiftkey for a few reasons, 1) it’s dual language (at the same time - so not having to switch keyboards all the time, 2) it’s amazing predictive and corrective abilities, 3) really good swiping interface. But (1) is the biggie for me. So if you’ve been able to create an open-source possibility for this by merging dictionaries i’m definitely going to try it!

2 Likes

@rik yes! Very important- dual language.
Is Korean, Chinese, Taiwanese, Japanese available?

Swiftkey, seriously. … why not install gboard aswell then…

1 Like

Yep, it’s from Microsoft, isn’t open source, has 3 trackers and 12 permissions (too much for a keyboard).

2 Likes

@GaelDuval Anysoft keyboard is open source, can you put a dev on that and fork it to support multi language? I think /e/ deserves a good keyboard with multi language support. I find anysoft keyboard a pain in the neck when typing multilingual.

3 Likes

As mentioned here Anysoft was removed as the default for /e/ with 0.5 . There are some improvements being done to make it better. Multi language support would also be a good feature.

3 Likes

Yeah way too much!!!
Plus from Microsoft… :sneezing_face:

Thx Manoj, i used an outdated build command i guess. good to hear it will be better.

Yes, we definitely need a better keyboard, but there is a lot of work and don’t have “free developers” available at the moment.

2 Likes

Fine, later will work too. Wouldn’t consider it first priority

I just started using /e/ on my fairphone, coming from Ubuntu Touch world.
I must say that the lack of emoji in the keyboard is frustrating. I do use them a lot.
As I am completly new to android-like apps (never had an android before, just bought the faiphone to install /e/) maybe I’m just missing a standard conf to add them to the keyboard, but for now it seems like a big miss…

You can see the emoji’s …on the keyboard lower right side there is a curved arrow inside a circle - press on it for a couple of seconds and it should open up the emojis.
Agree that It should have been a bit more visible though.

4 Likes

Oh thank you ! I’d never imagined it was on the alternate of the “enter” bouton :slight_smile:

As a FOSS keyboard, I wanted to suggest Hacker’s keyboard which his a bit more advanced than any traditional ones.
Sadly, Out of this one and AnySoftKeyboatd, I think Simple Keyboard is the only one with Korean keyboard support, isn’t it ?

1 Like

I quite like the default keyboard in Lineage, which has swipe. I noticed swipe for this keyboard isn’t available for /e/ even though it is still in the manual.

A keyboard with swipe would certainly be nice to have. Never needed dual language but I could certainly see the advante of having that as a feature. dedicated emoji key as well? :smiley:

1 Like

jep! it has that :slight_smile:

I’ll check again but I don’t think swipe was working on it. Was available as an option within the keyboard settings, but certainly didn’t work.

Hi all,

I’m the lucky owner of a brand new F/e/rphone3 and I’m the happiest man alive.
I installed OpenBoard which performes fine, it does what it should do. FOSS, no trackers, no ridiculous permissions.
But I really miss typing with the slide of a finger. Are there any keyboards (preferably FOSS) with this functionality besides gboard?

Thx

Hi, yes, I believe anysoftkeyboard should support this.

Thank you.

I will take a look at that. :+1: