Android 12 on a Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite (Wi-Fi) Model SM-P610

I thought I should ask before I do something Stupid.

Your Tip
“Tip: Before installing /e/OS on the Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite (Wi-Fi) gta4xlwifi for the first time, install the latest stock OS version 11 build on the device”

I bought a used Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite (Wi-Fi) Model SM-P610. It has Android 12 installed Kernel 4.14.113-23851207 Date Wed. May 18 2022.

Will e/OS install on this??

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

Yes that is the Tip; but there is also a Caution!

Caution: Do not install /e/OS on top of a higher version of stock OS. Before installing /e/OS ensure your device has the latest stock OS of the same version as /e/OS. If only lower versions of the stock are available then install the last available lower version before installing /e/OS.

I guess you would need to check out the chances of downgrading to 11 before installing /e/ 11

Thanks for the quick reply.
Looks like I have two choices: down grade to 11 if possible or wait for /e/OS upgrade to 12 if it happens.

sigh: life is so full of these little decisions. :slight_smile:

Looks like Android 12 is available in Lineage OS, lineage-19.1-20220803-nightly-gta4xlwifi-signed.zip.
I’ll have to find out what is the major difference from /e/os/ and Lineage OS.

I see that it is also available in https://lineage.microg.org/ – ofc /e/ has https://ecloud.global/

You can use ecloud.global on Lineage for microg. Just install DAVx5 from F-Droid for Calendar and Contacts sync, NextCloud sync client for file sync, ans NextCloud Notes app for working with Notes. Significantly less buggy and more up-to-date than /e/'s forks :wink:

I have just found myself in the same position, even though the tablet came with Android 11/R, the update turned it into Android 12/S (as described here).

Anyone reading this, please consider me all ears for how to how to downgrade to 11 again (and getting the accursed OEM Unlock to work!).

Sorry for starting this thread and ghosting. Decided to hold off until after our holiday. I am really enjoying 3 weeks in the Alps with “smart phone” on airplane mode and the tablet turned off.

I think this may help.
I’ll wait until /e/OS S is out.

Yes, I made a followup post there linking to the process I used to get e-R onto an Android 12/S tablet, without downgrading to A 11/R.

Something I find confusing is that the instructions for installing has a warning “Warning: Before following these instructions please ensure that the device is on the latest Android 11 firmware.” and the instructions for upgrading has “Caution: Before following these instructions please ensure that your smartphone is on the latest Android firmware available for your device. For example if available, before flashing /e/OS ‘S’ install Stock Android 12. Similary before installing /e/OS ‘R’ it should be Stock Android 11 or before installing /e/OS ‘Q’ it should be Stock Android 10. Check you device vendor’s website to download the required Stock ROM.”

I have Android 12 as the stock OS can I install /e/OS ‘S’ ??

Android 12 or Android S is the same…:+1:

Thanks.
I just found it confusing that they want the latest version 11 to in install and then on another page talking about 12 to upgrade to

The doc might not be uptodate if you’re already in Android S (~ 12 ). Just try with recovery and /e/ in S version!

Read this: yesterday I also followed the doc for a S5e (gts4lvwifi). The doc mentions to use the S version. And my uptodate S5e was in Android 11! Because of the S version, I used the recovery-e-1.5.1-s image. I didn’t realize I was about to mix android R and S. And, … and, … It worked fine! :wink: :astonished:

Reading some responses in this thread, I realise the were some risks? Can anyone explain?

It seems to me that the documentation templates have changed within the life of this thread. I think that this has coincided with /e/ being made available in R and S in a very close time frame.

I do not want to word this in any way to encourage others to deviate from /e/ written instructions – more to encourage users to report errors. (Perhaps https://doc.e.foundation/support-topics/report-an-issue against documentation or help others with an entry in the Documentation Suggestions section for the device.)

I believe the following “previously seen” caution covers the risks.

Caution: Do not install /e/OS on top of a higher version of stock OS. Before installing /e/OS ensure your device has the latest stock OS of the same version as /e/OS. If only lower versions of the stock are available then install the last available lower version before installing /e/OS.

My personal view is that in removing a “General caution” and replacing it with a “Specific caution” /e/ has created a maintenance problem.

Thank you, @aibd . I think the “Caution” is clear enough, but does not appear (anymore?) in Install /e/OS on a Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e (Wi-Fi) - “gts4lvwifi” . Here I don’t want to add more in this thread about S6. So I’ll report an issue for the S5e. Thanks!