Can I Delete the Weather widget

Yes, see also screenshot in answer #10 by @andrelam

Welcome, yes i noticed that too, don’t know if that’s normal. This is the only way i know of at the moment. In the future they will be uninstallable, be patient :grinning:

1 Like

Thank you for “Welcome”. Well, I’m in good spirits about /e/ in 2020. A default option to uninstall /e/ apps is the only way to go instead of just disabling or deleting them. Right now /e/ is just an interesting game for me. And I’m practicing patience ;o)

I’ve learned a little something new. The adb command => pm list packages|grep -i weather

shows me these 4 packages:

package: org.lineageos.openweathermapprovider
package: foundation.e.weather
package: org.cyanogenmod.weatherservice
package: org.cyanogenmod.weather.provider

Well, it was uninstalled a few days ago => foundation.e.weather

Now I uninstalled the other 3 apps as well and reboot. Yeah /e/ boots as usual.

And see there: The above mentioned icon “Weather” and the additional text (Weather 0 B Not installed for users) is no longer available.

I can’t (yet) estimate the effects of uninstalling on the system. Let’s see what it looks like after the next /e/ update.

Hi @archie did you install the new system update? Any problem due to having previously wiped out the stupid weather app? Thx.

Hello @dotcoma. No, so far I can’t see any problems. /e/ OS Update - OTA - accepts the non-existence of the weather app and takes this into account, which means the W-app will not be installed again.

Addition’20

1 Like

How to open a cmd windows on the smartphone, please?

You can’t. CMD command prompt is a Windows® specific thing. With an Android Terminal Emulator App, you can emulate e.g. a VT-100 terminal to access the command line on the smartphone.

is it dangerous? lol
yesterday, I received my /e/ refurbished smartphone and I would like to delete some apps (weather, message, mail…)

Do you advise a terminal app, please?
I’m trying but I get “aborted”

@Manuekris, every intervention in the running system has its risks. But so far I have not been able to detect any “dangerous” system reactions in my experiments.

Before you make any changes, I recommend that you make a system backup to an external microSD card. That way you can your /e/ OS “stable build” save and in case of an emergency like going back to the beginning /e/ OS ROM.

With the already installed TWRP Recovery we can make a device-dependent backup (Nandroid-Backup) and pull this data over to the PC or store it on an external mircroSD card. See also → A complete system backup without root with TWRP Custom Recovery including EFS / IMEI on external microSD card

1 Like

Terminal and Command Prompt (CMD) only work on my desktop computer. For lack of experience I cannot recommend a terminal app. Have a look at the → F-Droig Store.

@Manuekris

I’m trying Termux - you can find it in F-Droid here .
If I want to control it on my PC (running Ubuntu), or anything on my phone, I plug it in the USB port and run scrcpy.

1 Like

Hello.

Yes, ‘verbose’ commands always need ‘–’ For example, on my Debian, for root acces:
$ su -l (short) or $ su --login is the same command, wich calls SU password.

My two cents :wink:

Settings. Systems. Advanced. Developer Options. Local terminal, set to enable. Terminal app is in apps list. Voila!

Bliss source code is available in /e/ gitlab : https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/apps/BlissLauncher
Not 100% sure, but I found that :

• weather widget is static, will be always displayed
  • Bliss relies on openweathermapprovider, not Weather app
1 Like

The weather widget is in bliss source. I stripped the weather stuff out for my personal preference. If anyone wants to try, download here. You can install it and the original Bliss still remains. This is of course unofficial, so use at your own risk. Password: bliss

Hi,
wont work for me.
Terminux window:
$ pm uninstall -k --user 0 foundation.e.weather
cmd: Failure calling service package: Failed transaction (2147483646)

Are you on the phone? add shell first.

Yes, I’m using Terminux on the phone.