Can't use an app that require me to connect to google play games

Hi, I am moving to South Africa for a bit and there are a lot of daily power cuts there.
To ensure I know when they happen and that nothing is lost, I was suggested an app by a friend that keeps tracks of the power cuts and updates everyone before they happen.
But when I opened the app, it told me that I am not connected to play games and that I cannot use the app. Is there a way around this or are any apps that require a connection to google play unusable on these phones.
The name of the app was loadshedding - esp EskomSePush.
Thank you!

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

As an alternative to an Android app I looked for a url on the subject and found https://www.eskom.co.za/distribution/customer-service/outages/municipal-loadshedding-schedules/

Open it in /e/ default browser → Three dot menu, top right → scroll down → Tap Add to Home screen.

Now I have a much more privacy friendly icon on my Home screen.

2 Likes

I have the same problem with chromecast, all apps ask for Google play services and I can not mirror the phone in chromecast

Play Games support has never been a thing in microG so if something requires it it will not work.

As far as Chromecast support, it has always been iffy but mostly not. Old API that partially worked and a newer API where nothing seems to work.

What’s the status on Google Cast implementation? · Issue #580 · microg/GmsCore · GitHub

Chromecast · Issue #1565 · microg/GmsCore · GitHub

This may be something to check out once in awhile (if kept updated regularly).

Implementation Status · microg/GmsCore Wiki · GitHub

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.