Charging FP3 wirelessly

Hi,

I hope this topic is of interest to somebody although it is not directly related to /e/ OS. (Works fine on my phone running /e/ OS though!)
However, there are charging problems being posted on the forum, so maybe a charging solution would be helpful.

I have bought a very flat inductive charging PCB+loop from the internet and included it in my phone (Fairphone 3).
First you have to disassemble your phone until you have the bottom module (There are instructions on youtube).
There are small black screws (T5 type) in the bottom module. After you have removed those as well you can carefully open the bottom module. I used a plectrum for that.

In the next step you need to solder thin wires to USB VCC. I used enameled wire and picked a capacitor as shown in the picture. (At first I soldered GND to the USB jack, but the plastic housing is too tight there and I was not able to reassemble it without pressure. There is more space at the capacitor and you won’t have mechanical stress.) This capacitor (and the surrounding components) have a protective varnish layer, which needs to be be scratched off a bit at the contacts before soldering.
[1]

While reassembling the phone I have omitted one screw and used the space for the new wires. I did that approximately three weeks ago and my phone seems to be fine without that screw.
[3]

Omitting this screw will put the cables directly at the bottom of the battery after reassembly. Just place the cables in the dent, which makes it easy to remove the battery and you will have them available at the back of the phone.
There you can solder the new pcb to the new cables and reattach the cover.

[4]
[5]
The pictures show my FP3, which can now be charged wirelessly.
I have no trouble so far with the position of the charging loop as shown in the picture. I works well and does not seem to be affecting NFC, BT, Wifi or my cellular connection at all.

If you are using a case on your phone instead of just the bumper, the added distance might be a problem.
If you do this, please be aware that you should never connect a USB cable while charging wirelessly at the same time.
Please keep in mind that inductive charging is inefficient. It should not be used for daily charging, because that would be wasting energy.

3 Likes

Sorry, I can only include one picture in each post.
Picture 1:

Picture 3:

Picture 4:

Picture 5:

1 Like