Coming from LineageOS for microG

Yes, i mean i know, but there are ways to stop this. On this very forum it has a list of ā€œapps considered bestā€ and there are all the anti-trackers, tracking-stop, firewalls and apps that shows which trackers every app have, and etc.
Is very comprehensive and helpful.

Yes, thatā€™s what happens to me, i really liked and wanted to use /e/ as my daily rom, but unfortunately iā€™m not able to. so SINCE this happens, i guess LOS w/ microG and anti-trackers is my best option.

Hopefully i do a device update soon and get myself one which support /e/ then i use it again. Is by far the best ungoogled experience i had on mobile.

Folks keep talking about /e/ goals and whatever but miss the point the OP mentioned regarding Play Store. There are apps one has paid for and some do license checking. He used Setialphaā€™s patched Play Store so said apps can suceesfully do their check. The store is then frozen, apps continue to function and can be updated via Aurora.
Thatā€™s it. Simple. Itā€™s about practicality, not philosophy, /e/ goals, or anything else.
Itā€™s been said before, what one does with the OS is up to the user.

On a semi-related note, I mentioned once about paid themes and icon packs and their license checking. For icon packs itā€™s the dashboard that does the checking and wonā€™t run if it canā€™t find the Play Store. Thatā€™s okay though if you have capable launcher with a good icon picker. Preferably with a search function like in Lawnchair/Librechair. Icons are fully usable. Sadly, Nova never included a search function.

/e/OS (LineageOS) doesnā€™t have OMS so Substratum themes are not much of a concern (though Default Dark and Croc work fine). Some testing on another ROM without Play Store or microG even I found that a couple of paid themes do work without license checking. Archangelā€™s Translucent theme, f.i.

Also, one might want to check XDA Labs as alternate source of getting paid apps. For instance I already owned Lucid launcher from my GApps days but recently found it available via XDA Labs. Purchased the pro version again via that route for use on my Google-free setups. Stuff like that.

3 Likes

Hello @marcdw, are we talking XDA Labs Android - The XDA Developer App Store?

https://ecloud.global/s/rMjPiL3f7wejs4z

Could the hint Ā»XDA Labs is having trouble with GĀ°Ā°gle Play servicesĀ« be related to microG?

Interessting. Sorry for my ā€˜dumbā€™ question: Who garantee my, that the apps from there are ā€˜cleanā€™ (like f-droid apps) ?

EDIT: OK, I have installed the app and it has tracker :-1:

I also have tried a other app from the store and it has also trackers.
Both are removed and the store is nothing for an ungoolged OS, thatā€™s my thought.

Donā€™t know about the issue, but you can download the apps via webbrowser on PC.

Ah yes, the app uses flurry. I can block/disable that anyway. You might be interested in this exchange from an XDA Labs user, Zwulf(?), about that subject. Dev explains the usage of the trackers but the user wants to know about full functionality sans trackers.

And yeah, purchases via the web is probably preferable.

@archje, thatā€™s weird. Not aware of any connection to Play Services. Never seen such a message/error before.

Dosenā€™t Aurora store have the ability to login to it using your Google account?

I agree F-Droid should be included with /e/. Most apps on F-Droid are open source with the user being able to show only apps without closed source dependencies.

Thx, but i donā€™t mean f-droid. I mean the xda store.

Yes, you can log in the Google account with Aurora Store, but only some bought apps installed this way work, others need special license verification that cannot be supported by Aurora Store.

@harvey186

Sorry, but I havenā€™t seen any question for help your post.

Wrong: I asked about AudioFx.
Right: My post was meant as feedback. The description for the parent forum says ā€œShare your feedback so we keep making /e/ the best for you!ā€ Thatā€™s what I did. Additionally the description of this subforum says that it is not a support category.

Iā€™m here to help on issues with eOS and help people to go away from googlag.

Thatā€™s what I did not ask for.

Among the first apps I saw when I opened the /e/ app store were WhatsApp and Facebook. It looks like the /e/ team does not claim to keep phones with /e/ as ā€œpureā€ as you and @b3pio do.

@marcdw
Thank you for clarifying the contents and focus of my initial post.

@b3pio

associated g-services

the patched Play Store works with microG, not with Play Services.

@Manoj
This is my second post that has been ā€œkidnappedā€ with discussion what must not be done with /e/ and even who is right or wrong in this forum.
Actually I also seek a perfect de-googled system, but as I know that this is currently not possible for ā€œnormal usersā€ who use bought apps, e.g. Threema, I rather seek progress, not perfection.
Currently the posts in my threads make me feel that /e/ users and even /e/ support want to keep this a place for a small community of truth seekers rather than a place to respectfully discuss experience with /e/ and spread the news to as many Android users as possible.
To say it short: I donā€™t feel welcome here.
What is the intention of the /e/ team for this forum?
Thank you for clarification.

3 Likes

Sometimes users need an ā€˜eye openerā€™ and you can have a look into my profile. You will see that a lot if users are happy about my help and ā€˜eye openingā€™.

Edit: by the way, regarding your question I have answered, written a solution :wink:

1 Like

I agree 100 % and you will find several posts from me, where Iā€™m ā€˜fightingā€™ again this, because itā€™s also against the e credo

1 Like

The intentions are simple. Have an honest discussion about /e/ and its capabilities. Since we have de-googling as one of our goals we do attract a lot of diverse viewpoints. As long as the viewpoints do not attack or abuse other users or team members the discussion is valid.

1 Like

I think itā€™s time for some more strict rules/moderation. The topic starter feels abused, because the topic is kidnapped. So when is it abuse? For me that would be the point the topic starter says so.

:wink:

Iā€™d encourage you not to judge the whole forum by a few over-zealous loudmouths. :slight_smile:

I, for one, appreciate your input already because I didnā€™t know about that patched PS, and now I will be looking into this way of enabling a few paid apps I paid for and couldnā€™t use.

So, welcome, and you will hopefully find that there are open, knowledgeable and helpful community members here, too.

2 Likes

I misread the original post about it being patched play store, so my apologies and its good feedback you write. also thanks to @marcdw for clarifying it further. Speaking for me personally, I prefer not to use original play store, patched play store or even microg. I actively go out of my way to avoid any hint of google, app trackers etc etc. Though Iā€™m more extreme in this regard than most people. However I still recommend /e/ over lineage+microg mainly for the points you make (Mainly Cloud feature and some further google removal by /e/ from base LOS) for less techy friends and family as its a good compromise to ease into the transition from google for them. (This post isnā€™t probably much help in hindsight)

2 Likes

@bege And sincerely the last thing anyone in the forum wants to do is to make someone feel unwelcome.Hope you will stick around cause we need this community to come together to increase the reach of /e/.

Thank you for the conciliatory, clarifying and encouraging posts.

2 Likes