Compact smartphone and /e/

to watch series, decent photos, good autonomy,… I don’t play.

Do you have a reference device? Your information is too general for me.

Not really, it 's why I 'm asking for advices. Now I have a fairphone, camera of poor quality, bad autonomy. I would like a recent smartphone with a screen for one hand ^^

It isn’t easy to find a “current compact” smartphone (5") with StockROM Android. A /e/ OS compatible device is even harder to find.

If you sort by “release” in this list you will see that there is no device with a maximum 5" display in the /e/ repertoire that was released in 2019 or 2018. Now compromises are required.

See also /e/ original Smartphones list

Hi et bonjour @Manuekris. There’s one thing I’d like to draw your attention to, on your research for a small phone: About 2 years ago there was a big shift taking in the shape of mobile phones - the screen ratios from devices changed from 16:9 to 18:9 (or even up to 19,5:9). That means screens became higher an slimmer. Like this, manufacturer were able to “squeeze” larges screens in existing phone form factors.

That means a 5" phone from 2017 has about the same size as 5,8" phone from 2018/9.

I agree that it becomes more and more difficult to find non-huge phones, but there are still some rather powerful smaller phones - as for instance the Samsung S9 (5,8"), which is supported by /e/.

Anyway, good luck finding the perfect phone for yourself.

Thank you.
Actually, I can use only one hand so it becomes difficult to find a suitable phone…

Hi,

Just to understand what would be suitable for you, I guess the simplest starting point should be the Samsung S7 from /e/ (5.1" 16:9; overall, quite widely available devices you might have seen / tested if they suit your needs): would it be too big?

1 Like

Have you considered getting one of the refurbished phones that /e/ is currently selling with their OS preinstalled? I believe the S7 meets your criteria, although I’d advise reading through the forums first to confirm any known issues (it’s officially supported anyway):

Samsung’s Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge are also very widely used and popular devices in my country. But just as often I see shattered glass on the front and back after it has fallen down. If I had to operate a phone with one hand and the risks involved, my main focus would be on a very robust device.

The good old Samsung Galaxy S5 (e-0.7-p-) with an outdoor rugged bumper case is not necessarily an optical highlight, but it can survive a slight height and it’s enough for my everyday smartphone life.

Another aspect: The most sustainable phone is the one you already own

I was looking for precisely this and settled on the Samsung Galaxy A3 (2016). Good experiences so far!

@Manuekris
Of compact devices that are up-to-date with cutting edge technologies I only know two: Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact and Sharp Aquos R2 Compact. I didn’t go for the Xperia because I read too many reports of defective displays. I didn’t go for Aquos because I wasn’t determined enough to go through all the hassle of getting what then was (and still probably is) officially available on the Japanese market only. I settled for Samsung Galaxy A3 (2017, so not officially supported with /e/, but I have LineageOS on it), which was next to perfect for my needs but unfortunately the camera was far below what I consider decent and after a few months I traded off on the size and replaced it with Galaxy S9. So far so good. If I were you, I’d have a look at the two Xperias listed as supported devices here. 5.2" is not far from your initial requirement. HTH.

Thank you all! I think I will buy a s7 refurbished…

1 Like

Take a look to this topic :

https://community.e.foundation/t/onedevice-le-retour-du-smartphone-compact-the-return-of-compact-phone/10376

2 Likes

OneDevice looks •very• interesting to me!

1 Like

How about the Samsung s4 mini? I was looking too for a small phone and went for this. Can’t say about performance because I am facing problems with network S4mini I9195 serranoltexx no mobile network

1 Like

I like this thread!!!

1 Like

Compact Smartphone? Try this.

I don’t know if /e/ works on it :wink:

1 Like

Check out this thread as well!

1 Like

What about this?

3 Likes

Funny little phone. Not sure how everyday user experience will be on that small screen (typing, reading).