Confusion with the OS version for the Fairphone 2 (FP2)

As stated in the device description and on the installation page, R seems to be the OS version to use for the FP2. Nonetheless, it’s stated as beta on the images list on the ”cloud server“.
What’s the correct stable version for the Fairphone 2 now?

the installation page

/e/OS has only ever been available as “beta” for the Fairphone 2. There have never been “stable” /e/OS releases for the FP2.

2 Likes

Q isn’t listed as “beta” :wink: .

Ah, (I) confused “dev” and “beta” once again :innocent:

1 Like

I downloaded the Android Q and it works fine. Do you see a problem so far?

That’s why I took it as my installation candidate.

Q is a dead end. Base Android 10 doesn’t get security updates anymore, and apart from that only the latest Android version on a device gets further /e/OS support going forward …

1 Like

Does this work only by flashing the device? Will all system upgrades be ”flashing the device“?

Upgrades of the underlying Android version are done by doing manual new installs, unless the possibility to do an upgrade via the OS updater is specified in section “OS OTA upgrades” in the development updates … https://community.e.foundation/tag/development-updates
OTA upgrades will have to be prepared by developers per device per upgrade step.

By default user data will be wiped with manual installs, unless users can report that they somehow upgraded a device successfully without wiping data. Example: FP2: upgrade from Q to R advisable? - #11 by ingolf

1 Like