CUSTOM BUILD - Android 10 (Q) eOS GSI

The app gets stuck building the google play APIs (I forget the exact wording). Yes, installed from f-droid and userdata was wiped, so no trace of aurora on the device beforehand.

I see. I thought that the fact that your minimal build is working was a sign that things were pretty close.

running any tracker blocker in the background ? If yes, stop it, because it’s blocking the goolag call.
I have just tested it and it works fine on my side.

Yes, but as I have written, in the moment the sources are changed from day to day.

so… how long does that boot process take for you guys ca? over an hour?!

around 5 minutes. Which version are you trying ? Full version is not booting on several devices. Mini version is better
You can try removing BLISS launcher via TWRP file manager in Full version. Than it should boot

well okay… :smiley:
tried mini and full now (20200808 bvN which I guessed to be the a/b version?)
none were successful… and the device does not have any custom ROMs / TWRP, yet - and the original recovery fails at mounting the system partition… :smiley:
I therefore also used fastboot erase userdata instead of TWRP format.

Do you know whether any original Android 10 device (aka system-as-root partition layout) has been using this successfully?

Never installed a GSI on a device without custom rocovery. I think.bootloader is unlocked, right?

Search ‘project treble’ on.xda. there you will find a lot of GSI. But I can’t imagine that any will work.

By the way, which device are you using?

I have just uploaded a new full arm64-a-only version. Arm64 a/b is on the way

1 Like

Thanks! Half of me wants to try this on my test XZ1 Compact. The other half says ‘It’ll probably just boot loop again’ :slight_smile:

If I get some time before I go away, I’ll give it a try.

I have heard that on my last build the Bliss Launcher was the problem for no booting (that’s why Minimal was booting) Now I have removed it and hope it will boot on all devices.

August, 25th: after some tests I have found that MicroG setup is not working and some apps don’t find any internet connection (but internet is working fine)

August, 26th: Issues from 25th are solved. Internet connection is still show ‘sign-in required’. Bit you can ignore. Internet connection works fine

Maybe that’s because some e.foundation services are down?

no, it’s because I have cut the goolag calls. But it’s not perfect in the moment.

/e/ shouldn’t use google to check for internet connectivity anyway isn’t it?

Yes, but there todays eOS Q sources are not changed in that way. So I have done it be my own

Nice. Maybe you can take this out too (I presume /e/ accepts patches for their software on github): Connections to izatcloud.net . It’s somewhere in vendor directory. Or at least sanitize the request so it doesn’t leak your serial number and the many other things listed there.

Can can’t disable it. i is needed by qualcom devices

It isn’t “needed”, it does help with getting a GPS fix faster for the first time but it also leaks a lot about you. Even if we say “the hell with privacy, I just want a faster GPS fix, it doesn’t matter that my phone is connecting to this company without me knowing or accepting” it’s just downloading a file, there is no reason to leave it make a request with all the private data you can think of about your device.

I think you should be a little more kindly. I have read a lot of your posts and you are always unpleasant if some has the same opinion as you.

If you you can try blocking it via trackercontrol.

I am just stating facts, I’m not sure what bothers you. Blocking it in user-space won’t block it completely (as the VPN won’t be up all the time). Even blocking it in hosts won’t prevent it from calling home, at least at boot time. Now I might be a bit biased about this issue but I fail to see why people are much more outraged about more tame things that are off by default (and clearly presented) while this one which is totally hidden and can’t be turned off is just put under the rug.

by the way, a GSI is a system image and is vendor independent. So there is no way to remove it in GSI builds

New Mini-builds added.

1 Like