[Device Roadmap] Android 9 (Pie) & 10 (Q) : The plan

where do you live ? On my World we are in june, latest month in Q2 :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks Manoj, that clarifies things and sounds like a GREAT idea (to have 1 codebase with 1 set of apps)

1 Like

Southampton, soon to be in q3, but you get my point right?

Hi. Would it be possible to regularly add some very new devices? I can imagine there are other users like me, who would like to buy a brand new phone and install /e/ immediately on it.

Hi @Shenol we were discussing this as well. The issue with the latest devices is that they would need to be ported to work with /e/. This happens where they have not already got support on LOS. This would be an extra effort for the team. In case there are some very popular devices then yes we will be adding them for e.g. the FP3

buying a brand new device is NOT good for our wold. Better buying a ā€˜youngā€™ used device

5 Likes

And ā€¦ new device are ALL gsi supported device and most will work with eOS GSI :smile: :wink:

5 Likes

Hi @Manoj thank you for this thread :slight_smile:
What about Nexus 5 with codename hammerhead I canā€™t find it in your lists.
Thank you

2 Likes

Some devices are still to be grouped. I will be updating the data in the tables once I have more inputs.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a good news, it means my phone still has chance to get updates :slight_smile:

Basically all phones which work well on LOS 17.1 are potential candidates for upgrade and support.

1 Like

@Manoj Since I do not see the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge (Zeroltexx) in the list yet, Iā€™d like to draw your attention to the fact that altough LineageOS dropped support for this device, there is an unofficial 17.1 build by developper enesuzun2002 https://github.com/enesuzun2002/lineageos-ota/releases which seems to be working quite well according to @archje as mentionned in this reply :

And yes, my S6 Edge does not run smoothly with /e/ OS n(ougat) either. At least a migration to /e/ OS Oreo 8.1.0 would be desirable. Even better would be a /e/ OS 9-Pie Build. I console myself with very well working LOS 17.1 builds as a compromise solution.

I suppose it would require a few tweaks, but I imagine this would make it possible to use this unofficial build to upgrade the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge to Q ? If not possible, there is also an unofficial LineageOS 16.0 build by the same developper.

Hi @Manoj. When can we expect to see ROMs for the new devices -e.g Sony Xperia Z3 Compact - start to appear?

2 Likes

Hi, we are working to have as most as unofficial builds as possible. First we will create unofficial builds to update/upgrade what is already existing (official and unofficials builds), then we will start to create unofficial builds for requested devices, when sources exist. I donā€™t know how many time it will take. 3 months ? Maybe less.

3 Likes

Hi @petefoth, as @Anonyme mentioned it could take a couple of months. We will release test builds made on our infrastructure with the full compliment of /e/ apps and in the latest OS possibleā€¦Pie or Oreo which ever the device permits and release them for users to test and report back.
The better the feedback the faster those devices get on the official list. BTW Test and Official builds are made on the same infrastructure same code but different keys.
Q code will take atleast 2 months in my estimation to get ready for testing in builds. Then we will repeat the process of releasing test builds.
We will be updating all users on the progress here on the forum.

2 Likes

What if someone has an unofficial build of a newly supported phone? Does she have to install the official build in order to get updates or it doesnā€™t male any difference?

To switch from an unofficial / test / custom ROM to the official version of /e/ you will have to flash the official /e/ build manually the first time. This is because builds are made with different set of keys.
Once the official build is flashed subsequent official builds will be available Over the Air (OTA).

2 Likes

Hello @Manoj, itā€™s really great.
For info, Oppo R7Plus has been locked, apparently after an update 2 years ago (cf. my post Unlocking Opp R7plus bootloader)
If ever somebody has a workaround, I am interested, but donā€™t let users think they will unlock there Oppo phone if this has not been done ā€œbeforeā€ this update :slight_smile:

Thanks again for all the work of the /e/ team.

Hi Manoj, will we need to do a wipe for this when flashing? Or can we keep all our apps and data?

Take a backup of all your data first and then wipe before flashing the new ROM.

1 Like