[Device Roadmap] Android 9 (Pie) & 10 (Q) : The plan

it’s just a precaution, I guess.

I would make an backup and than a dirty flash. That should normally work

Official or unofficial may appear to be just a label, but may (or may not) actually imply more changes… perhaps a change in the sources or repositories, change in ROM signature, etc…
In my opinion flashing an official ROM over a non-official one should be done cleanly.

@Manoj What about the Mi A1 (which is already running on Pie) ? If I understand the Mi A1 will be upgrade only if LOS 17.1 works on the phone. Is that right?

For now the Mi A1 (tissot) will officially stay on Pie because LineageOS doesn’t support officially Android 10 for tissot.

But if there is somewhere (most probably on the forum “xda”) a working unofficial LineageOS 17.1 for your device, then an unofficial build of /e/ will be made for it a few weeks after Android 10 will be available for /e/.
And if this hypothetic unofficial build of /e/ works perfectly, then it could become official.

@Thomas , @Anonyme , since 1 week, tissot has official support for LineageOS 17.1

https://download.lineageos.org/tissot

1 Like

Oh okay thank you, so when Android 10 will be available, we will create a test build for tissot and for other LOS 17.1 and /e/ supported devices, then ask to the community if testers can test them. If everything work, it becomes official.

By the way, do you have a tip to follow the status of LOS devices please ? It’s to be able to easily update my list without looking for each device each time.

EDIT : I will keep an eye on the history of this page and this page to see if devices are upgraded, added or removed.

No sorry, I don’t have any special tip to follow status. I learned of the news, in a Telegram Group of tissot.

1 Like

That is right for all devices. A properly working - which means all apps + features like incoming out going calls, wifi, bluetooth should be working in the 17.1 implementation. These are the basic requirements for upgrading a device.

2 Likes

Thank you @Manoj and @Anonyme for your answers.

It’s OK for me to stay on Pie as long as you keep to update the phone. Do you know if you will continu to update this phone for some time?

Yes, tissot will still be supported by /e/ on Pie, and then will be supported on Android 10 if there is no issue during the test phase. (Once it will be supported on Android 10, it won’t be supported on Pie anymore).

2 Likes

Anyone tested the tissot on LOS 17.1 ? Is the build stable ?
BTW I also own a tissot which runs on the official Pi/e/ :slight_smile:

I’ve tried it, and I’ve also compiled and tested it. It seems stable, but I have used it little. If you want, tell me what things you want me to try and I will give you a more detailed answer.

Is ‘security updates’ a practice w.r.t. Android version?

I my case. I am using /e/ herolte on Samsung S7. Flashed it myself. I am content with that version. I update every time the OS announces an OTA version. I don’t like the idea that I might be sticking to a version that is not attended to anymore w.r.t. new security risks.

Security updates are added to the builds mostly during the mid of the month. They come with the dev build updates. For older nougat devices this has been an issue due to the patches being stopped at source. Where the patches are backported we still do share them on builds.

1 Like

Are there maybe chances to get /e/OS-support for the very nice LTE-Tablet Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (SM-T815 - gts210ltexx) too?
I know LineageOS support for the LTE variant is discontinued since November 2018.

An unofficial ROM (Android 9 - Pie) exists - [ROM][UNOFFICIAL][9] LineageOS 16.0 [T710][T715][T715Y][T810][T815][T815Y].

The WiFi variant of Galaxy Tab S2 (gts210vewifi) is supported by LineageOS 16.

Edit: Since beginning of 2019 I use the always security-updated Nougat version.

An unofficial Nougat build exists, and an update will come in the month.

An unofficial build on Pie should also come in less than 2 months (if the sources of the lineageos build you refer to are working).

The ultimate goal is to fulfill every new device request in less than 3 days by the creation of an unofficial /e/ build (I hope it will start at the end of the year) when an unofficial LineageOS exists, and update all the unofficial builds at least once every 3 months.

This way /e/ would have hundreds of compatible devices with always updated builds.

3 Likes

Thank you very much for your instant answer and sorry - I oversaw this unofficial Nougat build.

Edit: Updating unofficial builds at least once every 3 months is a really great and admirable goal!

@Manoj , thank you, much appreciated!

I might have miss an answer but relloking at this tpic I don’t see any confirmation of upgrade (and timeline of it) for galaxy S7. I know that some people made an unofficial build but I don’t know if there is a plan for official android 8,9,10 version for the S7?

2 Likes

Yes there is a plan to upgrade the S7 and S7 Edge (on Oreo then Pie later). I would say in the next months.

3 Likes