Do any /e/ smart phones support VoLTE?

I think the issue is a new CSC (partition/firmware?) needs to be flashed to the phone to enable AT&T’s “HD Voice” over VoLTE (proprietary variant). There is only one comment on that entire thread where a poster mentions that. You can’t get that update unless your phone is AT&T branded or is an unlocked phone with an OEM ROM.

I’m surprised there aren’t more /e/ users in the same boat. AT&T is everywhere.

1 Like

Months before I decided to install /e/, I had to flash a different regional OEM firmware on my Sony in order to get VoLTE on T-mobile (on stock Android). The reason was because I had bought an international variant as opposed to one destined for the U.S. market. It was fairly painless and didn’t even require unlocking the bootloader.

But that’s different from the AT&T issue, and anyway I think installing /e/ replaces whatever OEM firmware there was before.

Hope someone comes up with a solution.

1 Like

Now I’m seeing information about IMS (IP Multimedia Subsystem) being missing. To install that I would need to flash GSI and install it as a separate apk with Treble. I have no idea.

Just tested: USA/T-Mobile/Teracube2e works with VoLTE.

2 Likes

@Ant
Dial * # * # 4636 # * # *
Phone Information…
VoLTE Provisioned?

From the top 3 dot menu select “IMS Service Status”
IMS Registration: ?
Voice over LTE: ?
Voice over WiFi: ?
Video Calling: ?

3 Likes

@dsiminiuk oh wow, that’s handy and works with my other phone, thanks!
For Teracube 2e:
VoLTE Provisioned: yes
Video Calling Provisioned: yes
Wifi Calling Provisioned: yes
EAB : no
DSDS: yes
IMS Registration: Registered
Voice over LTE: Available
Voice over WiFi: Unavailable (3 dot->View Fixed Dialing Numbers-> back->back->WiFi Calling->turn it on — doesn’t change this state. could be a router issue, or it’s missing in my cell plan don’t know…)
Video Calling: Available (when I do video call it starts and drops, probably because other phone doesn’t support this feature… need to find someone with modern fancy phone)
UT Interface: Available

1 Like

See:

Thank you for providing this info. I spent 3 hours yesterday with usmobile.com support with them trying to get the phone configured to work. Your post answers everything. There is no VoLTE available on the /e/ samsung S9 so thus it don’t work! I wish I saw your support posting before I started down that frustrating road.

Replied to @Ant not @dsiminiuk.

So what is the future with S9? In Finland 3g stop working in the end of -23. Still plenty of time to make volte work, maybe?

I’ll say this; i heard from shenol in nov '21 after i emailed them aboit VoLTE being required, then i was told to wait while they worked on it; i heard nothing back for 3 months until i followed up myself to find out it would not be supported. I hope you don’t have to wait with false hopes unnecessarily.

I am ok with the volte not working, time goes on and some things changes. My S9 is already three years old and by the end of -23 it is propably time to get new device. I use secondhand devices, so new phone with eos is gonna cost me max 60€, so it is not that big of a thing for me.

2 Likes

I haven’t read all the messages here but…

I recently received an email from T-Mobile telling me one of my devices does not have VoLTE enabled. The phone number referenced (using only the last four digits) points to my daily driver, a Moto G5 Plus running LOS 14.1 Unofficial (a 2022 build).
They say that things may not work well after June 2022.

Though VoLTE is provisioned, IMS status shows unregistered and all services unavailable. Bummer. There are no VoLTE specific settings in the Nougat ROM. I multiboot on that device. I may have to check each ROM to see what their status is.
Also don’t know if the SIM is a factor. In use since at least 2013/2014, mostly in my beloved LG G3. Hate to think I’d have to give up my comfort zone and install a more modern Android just to keep it working ( I really dislike modern Android - Q/R/S/whatever).

Gonna have to start rethinking a lot of things. grumble.

1 Like

hazy memories… where is ims_user_agent read out from? if it’s from a firmware file or some carrier config, maybe if you lie about the user-agent ims-registration goes thru, it’s still SIP - but could be tied to IMEI still as that t-mobile check implies. Incompatibilities ofc can stem from not supporting an audio codec , lte-bands etc. Phone numbers are still held hostage

after ##4536*#*#

Under IMS Status;
IMS registration : Not Registered
the other are all; Unavailable

Is this my problem? I have no 4G calling only 3G or H+. Yet the VoLTE is provisioned.
Here is the most interesting thing to me, when I make a Signal Messenger calls LTE calling works, just not voice calls.

How do I get IMS working? This is a OnePluse Nord we are talking about.

These two things are actually different. Signal calls are simply carried over the data connection, (even at less than 3G speeds). VoLTE is a separate, specialized technology.

P.S. You’re probably already aware of this, but… https://community.oneplus.com/thread?id=1532041

My S9+ is still working even though when I make a call my phone displays H+. Today is July 10.

1 Like

Taurus,

Thank for the link. I called my provider and they said they provisioned my OnePlus or at least that said that.

Apparently there are proprietary libraries needed to get the VoLTE working. I would think the 5G data would still work. I notice they have not update the Nord to e 1.1 yet I think someone was looking at it (5G).

1 Like

I have bought 3 Samsung Galaxy S7’s and 1 S9. I am using them i Europe wit KPN provider. E/OS does not have the VoLTE option so I am falling back to 2 G which will be shut down this summer.
Is there a solution or better sell the phones after roll back to stock android if that is still possible.

Thank you for your help

Hai Rob, Are you from Holland?
Maybe you can help me out?

I have bought 3 Samsung Galaxy S7’s and 1 S9. I am using them i Europe wit KPN provider. E/OS does not have the VoLTE option so I am falling back to 2 G which will be shut down this summer.
Is there a solution or better sell the phones after roll back to stock android if that is still possible.

Thank you for your help