/e/ ambition wrt data collection per hour for a typical day of use (Prof. Douglas C. Schmidt study)

Hello,

The new website highlights the study of Prof. Douglas C. Schmidt with an infographic mentioning 90 (Android with a Google account) or 51 (iPhone) data collections per hour for a typical day of use. https://digitalcontentnext.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/DCN-Google-Data-Collection-Paper.pdf (BTW: I really wish the study would provide the figure for an Android phone without a Google account.)

What figure should be expected for an /e/ phone ?
How will you ensure that ?
Are there plans to have /e/ benchmarked in similar studies ?

I’m easily convinced that /e/ could reach the iPhone figure (51). However, considering Figure 12 on page 24, showing 88% of requests to Ad Domains (related to browsing third-party webpages and apps), I’m wondering how /e/ would go very significantly below 51; and how different this would be from a regular Android phone with no Google account and a custom choice of Web Browser/extensions.

Best regards
Best of luck
Olivier

3 Likes

I can perhaps provide some idea. I have an old iPhone which I use for navigation only. Besides the standard bloat ware the only apps installed are Magic Earth, Here wego and Privacy Pro (which allows me to see any activity to Google, Facebook etc.). There are no email accounts or similar on the phone. I do no web browsing on the phone. It has no (zero) transmission to Google. There is a lot to Apple, especially when I change location, but nothing to Google.

My conclusion is that the Google traffic listed in the report is from web based tracking. Based on this an /e/ phone would have an identical score.

2 Likes