/e/ App store is live

This is the tipping point for me. My S7 is on its last leg and I want to switch. The problem is that I depend on it and can’t afford to mess it up. This is pulling me over nicely :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great work guys! I’ve been using it since the weekend and it’s already become a complete replacement for my iPhone and Pixel. Of course there are bugs, but this is a huge step. It’s a fully functioning iPhone/Gphone replacement. Well done!

1 Like

I created an issue with a log file : https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/wiki/en/issues/83.

This granny has never been on FB and will never be. Nor on Whatsapp. And I use nothing from Google. I try to avoid these products from the surveillance industry whenever I can. There are plenty of youngsters however who are hooked to Instagram and all the other popular stuff. Of course there should be freedom of choice, but we should not encourage these products when trying to find an alternative to big tech.

2 Likes

Hi,
I just started using Apps. I could manage to install 2 apps but I have trouble installing the one I want which is “Mediapart”.
After pressing the Install button, no download occurs and the Install button reappears at once.
Is this problem due to “Mediapart” itself ?
Thanks.

Here is my complete review of the Apps store :

Aurora/Yalp features

The application itself (without the content) is very good. That’s a great job. But in order to drop Aurora Store for Apps, all Aurora Store features should be in Apps :

In the settings

• “Select Theme” : Light, Dark, Black.

• “Show keyboard on search by default” : show the keyboard directly when we go in the search tab.

• “Check for updates” : Manually

• The ability to blacklist an app in order not to see it in the Updates list.

• Is there a spoof thing in Apps like in Aurora and Yalp in order to download the good version of an app for one’s device or is there only one APK for all phones ? (I’m not an expert about that)

Tab bar and navigation

• Have a list of installed apps with the ability to hide/show system apps. It should be a sub-tab in the “Updates” tab.
    (Maybe the “Updates” tab should be renamed “My apps” with on the top of the screen an “UPDATES” and “MY APPS” sub-tabs.)

• A filter in order to see only apps we want to see : GSF Dependant or not, Apps with ads or not, ratings, number of downloads, FOSS or not. That filter would apply everywhere in Apps (Home, Search and Categories tabs).

• We should be able to find/display an application direcly by typing the codename of an app in the Search tab (“ch.protonmail.android” for instance).

In an application page

• The ability to flag an app as inappropriate (malware, dumb, useless app, etc)

• A button to download the APK of an app without install it.

• A button to get the APK of an installed app.

• Display the current version of an installed app next to the last version available.

• The date of the last release of an app should be the real date release and not the release date in the Apps application.

• There should be an “Uninstall” button.

• A “Similar apps” slider on the bottom (with priority for FOSS apps maybe).

• The “Permissions” pop-up (under “Privacy analyses”) should be more user-friendly. We can’t understand what all those permissions are and what they can do.

• The ability to see all the other apps of a publisher. Two ways : a slider “Other apps from [publisher]” under the “Similar apps” slider or just a button that opens a new page with a list of all the apps from [publisher].

• A button in order to be redirected to the “App info” page in the Settings. (Not the settings of Apps but the Settings of the phone)

• In addition to the “Description” section, a “Novelties/features” section is needed in order to know before doing an update what have been changed.

• The codename of the app (“ch.protonmail.android” for instance) should be displayed.

• An little mention if the app is dependant of Google Play Services or if there is Ads in it.

Little defect

• When we click on an application’s screenshot in order to see it in full screen, it shows the thumbnail quality. It should charge the full size image in order not to have a pixelized image.

Content nonsense

Even if we get a perfect Apps store application, if the applications proposed inside are irrelevant all the efforts will be lost. In order to see the problem we just have to go in a categorie, like “Communication”. We should find applications everybody knows but there are just unknown applications. Same thing for the “Maps and navigation” categorie (and all the others).
Multiple choices in order to solve that issue :

• Exclusively heberged FOSS apps like F-Droid : No because majority of users need proprietor applications with trackers. Furthermore, it would be possible to display only FOSS apps thanks to the filter for those who want only FOSS apps.

• Try to heberged as much as possible applications in Apps, with priority for apps downloaded many times on Google Play. For now Apps can’t succeed with all those dumb applications promoted in it.

Features proposal

• An “Alternative” sub-tab located in the “Categories” tab next to “APPS” and “GAMES”.
    It would show the Google Maps app and under it proposed alternatives such as OsmAnd. Under Youtube it would show NewPipe, Peertube. Under Gmail it would show ProtonMail, Tutanota. Etc etc with a lot of apps and alternatives.

• Sometimes, an update breaks an application and we have to wait for another update. So in order to avoid that, Apps should save the APK of the local application before update it. In case the update breaks the app, the user would just have to press a “Restore to the previous version” button.
    (Maybe it’s not possible to downgrade an application without deleting it. But at least the user would have the possibility to delete and re-install an application to its previous version if this is a necessary.)

• The ability to submit a new app in the Apps store directly in Apps.

EDIT : Add the 13th point in “In an application page”

1 Like

Even if it’s normal that an update isn’t available 1h after the release, 8 days (and more) is a bit too long and anormal.
Do we have infos about how Apps search over all the Google Play and F-Droid for updates/new apps ?

https://community.e.foundation/t/too-old-a-version-of-brawl-stars-in-appstore/4145/7?u=anonyme

The update I have from the AppStore development team is the updated apk’s should flow into AppStore with 1-2 days. If it is 8 - 10 days then there is a problem.

1 Like

Hi @Anonyme please can you group your issues / suggestions and raise them in Gitlab. The developer can have a look and take it up for future enhancements to the store.

1 Like

Hi, I can’t update /e/ since I’ve encrypted my phone - can someone please send me the apk of the market ?
Thanks a lot !

I guess you have the same issue as me, and probably an old version of TWRP (even if it’s the last version available). Haven’t find a solution yet.

I notice that some application, Mozilla Lockwise for example, are marked as available in the /e/ store at mozilla.lockbox (https://ecloud.global/apps/gallery/s/pEdBpkWmmN83zZ5) but they cannot be found from the App (https://ecloud.global/apps/gallery/s/QdgtXRqzJ4pD7Ht)

Hi, I think this has now been fixed. Could you please check again?

Yep it’s in now! Thanks

The app appears in the /e/ AppStore but I am not able to install it. Each time I click on Install, I got This app is currently unavailable. Please try again later

1 Like

Hi! We are aware of this issue and are working on fixing it ASAP.

I hope this is the right place for my request:

The option Never/Manually is missing, and it’s missing badly.

https://e.foundation/wp-content/uploads/e-manifesto.pdf

Can pro-choice users like me count on a fix, por favore?
Thank you all for your great work so far!

1 Like

Hi
Good point you have here

Update and appstore is brocken, along with about half of the features.

But its still cool.
Will give Android one last chance before i start using linux for everything again…

Hi!

Installed /e/ a couple of days ago and there is some problem with the “Apps” app. As it was posted above:

Is it a really known bug? And how should I fix it or debug it?

1 Like

Hi @wolneykien there are some bugs with the Apps Installer. There is a major update in the works for the Apps Installer. No ETA as yet. As a work around for now please use FDroid. Some users have used Aurora Store as well.