/e/ 's default Browser Vs. Panopticlick

Hi,

I tested /e/ 's default browser vs Panopticlick
https://panopticlick.eff.org/

and I’m not impressed by the results…

These are the same exact results I get with DuckDuckGo’s browser, by the way.

I guess both are based on Chromium.

Is there any way to improve the privacy features of the /e/ Browser ?

The default eOS browser is modified Bromite, which is itself a hardened Chromium. So first of all, I offer you to install the basic Bromite and compare.

My experience with Panopticlick is that you need an add blocker installed to pass the first few tests. I have never seen a system pass the fingerprinting test.

Hi, so modified Bromite. I learned something new today, thanks.

So eOS is better, you say?
But don’t you think that it’s still not good enough? (judging by the test)

Agree on fingerprinting. That’s a BIG problem, though.

Results from my tweaked Fennec F-droid (firefox), I don’t use the /e/ browser. (Brave gets same results as the /e/ browser) Getting that fingerprinting tick is difficult.

I suppose you mean mobile solutions, because in the desktop environment it is quite reachable. (For example, this achievement is available with Tor Browser.)

Not as big as on a desktop, I think. First of all, on android it is somewhat easier to use the same browser configuration by a large number of users. Along with the higher hardware unification, it allows to reduce entropy and thus obtain greater uniformity. In other words, get lost in a crowd of users with identical fingerprint.

But it’s important to keep in mind that the more we change the outer behavior of our browser, then the more we stand out from the crowd. (Most privacy-intended tweaks could actually lead to the opposite result.)

By the way, what did you use to get this tabbed view?

1 Like

My fennec (f-droid) was prompted by panopticlick to install privacy badger with improved results…

But still a nearly unique fingerprint…

ps I would love to know about the tabbed view too…

I uninstalled the foundation.e.browser via adb command.

I am using the => Privacy Browser »A web browser that respects your privacy« from F-Droid Store. The search engine “Startpage” is preset.

It is not possible to create a screenshot (screenshot lock).

Panopticlick 3.0 says:

• Is your browser blocking tracking ads? |✓ yes
  • Is your browser blocking invisible trackers? |✓ yes
  • Does your browser unblock 3rd parties that promise to honor Do Not Track? |✗ no
  • Does your browser protect from fingerprinting? |✗ no

I like this browser and I mean it’s worth a look.

»» Important note: Is it a modern data octopus?