/e/ won't share info with Google, but will apps do that anyway?

I understand that /e/ is being designed to prevent data being shared with Google, I think that is great.

I ran across this article and the accompanying report, here: https://www.privacyinternational.org/report/2647/how-apps-android-share-data-facebook-report . In it the authors discuss how apps will share data with Facebook by design, no matter what the user chooses as options for the app. This made me think about apps on /e/…

1. Will /e/ prevent apps from sharing data with Facebook or anyone as is described in that article?

2. When installing apps on /e/, will there be some indicator to me that will tell me, Hey, this app is one of those “evil” apps that by design shares data with Facebook (or whoever)?

I think it is great not to share data with Google, but isn’t that winning only half the battle if the apps themselves are sharing data with Facebook (or others), and we don’t know that and/or cannot control that?

(I “kind of” touched on this question in an earlier post, but not so explicitly - and I really didn’t get much response. Also, with the issuance of this report/study results, it seems that it is a real life problem.)

1. I don’t think so
  2. Yes, /e/ will provide a store providing information about not only privacy, but also energy consumption.

The dev team has stated, that they want to provide a privacy based operating system.

Number 1 is in my opinion not a feasible request for an operating system, since the user might want to share data with big companies.
The devs said that they want to provide an own app-development kit. I see this as an incentive for developers to get rid of some big-company based devkits and frameworks, that leak data by design.

Regarding 2, you can read the announcement about the /e/-app-store here:

Winning only half the battle is better than the current situation, where privacy loses the complete battle.
Privacy of apps is something that the e-team can not solve: they have enough work to do in order to make the operating system more privacy-respecting.
But there are apps available which try to respect the users privacy and it is the users responsibility to make informed decisions about which apps to use.

1 Like