Easy-Install not working on Ubuntu

I have installed Easy-Install on my Ubuntu Linux computer and here is what it says when I launch it from the command line:

Exception in thread “main” java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
at
java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native
Method)
at
java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown
Source)
at
java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown
Source)
at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.base/sun.launcher.LauncherHelper$FXHelper.main(Unknown Source) Caused by: java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: Internal Error
at
javafx.graphics/com.sun.glass.ui.gtk.GtkApplication.lambda$new$6(Unknown
Source)
at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at
javafx.graphics/com.sun.glass.ui.gtk.GtkApplication.(Unknown Source)
at
javafx.graphics/com.sun.glass.ui.gtk.GtkPlatformFactory.createApplication(Unknown
Source)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.glass.ui.Application.run(Unknown Source)
at
javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.QuantumToolkit.startup(Unknown
Source)
at
javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.startup(Unknown
Source)
at
javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.startup(Unknown
Source)
at
javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.startToolkit(Unknown
Source)
at
javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.launchApplicationWithArgs(Unknown
Source)
at
javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.launchApplication(Unknown
Source)
… 5 more

Am I missing a dependency?

After installing the easy installer, you must reboot the computer before using the easy installer

That’s not true and will not solve this problem.

1 Like

Hi michel,

this sounds very similar to what is described in section “Unable to open DISPLAY (on Linux)” of

If you are using wayland you need to run the installer in an xorg session (I don’t know how to do that, I don’t use Ubuntu/wayland).

1 Like

Hi Ingo_FP_Angel, thanks for your help. I also tried using easy installer on my Windows 10 and it was not able to find the Fairphone. So in the end, I just went the harder way ie without using the easy-installer at all. Best, Michel

1 Like

Just came here to report the same problem: Ubuntu 20.04, Xorg (ubuntu’s gnome or i3 wm)

~$ java -version
openjdk version "14.0.2" 2020-07-14
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 14.0.2+12-Ubuntu-120.04)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 14.0.2+12-Ubuntu-120.04, mixed mode, sharing)

Any suggestion? I’d rather use the easy-installer :wink:

Can you be more specific?

Do you get Caused by: java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: Unable to open DISPLAY

Or is it Caused by: java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: Internal Error

Sorry for being imprecise. Here is the complete error I get:

sudo easy-installer 
mkdir: cannot create directory '/run/user/0': Permission denied
g_module_open() failed for /snap/easy-installer/15/gnome-platform/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-svg.so: /snap/easy-installer/15/gnome-platform/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpango-1.0.so.0: undefined symbol: hb_buffer_set_invisible_glyph
/snap/easy-installer/15/gnome-platform/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgtk-3-0/gtk-query-immodules-3.0: symbol lookup error: /snap/easy-installer/15/gnome-platform/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpango-1.0.so.0: undefined symbol: hb_buffer_set_invisible_glyph
ERROR: /snap/easy-installer/15/gnome-platform/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgtk-3-0/gtk-query-immodules-3.0 exited abnormally with status 127
No protocol specified
No protocol specified
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/sun.launcher.LauncherHelper$FXHelper.main(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: Unable to open DISPLAY
	at javafx.graphics/com.sun.glass.ui.gtk.GtkApplication.lambda$new$6(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at javafx.graphics/com.sun.glass.ui.gtk.GtkApplication.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at javafx.graphics/com.sun.glass.ui.gtk.GtkPlatformFactory.createApplication(Unknown Source)
	at javafx.graphics/com.sun.glass.ui.Application.run(Unknown Source)
	at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.QuantumToolkit.startup(Unknown Source)
	at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.startup(Unknown Source)
	at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.startup(Unknown Source)
	at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.startToolkit(Unknown Source)
	at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.launchApplicationWithArgs(Unknown Source)
	at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.launchApplication(Unknown Source)
	... 5 more

Ok, it sounds like this issue here

The error in the first post of this topic turned out to be something different.

Damn, I had the DISPLAY error because I started it sudo. As a normal user I get the INTERNAL error discussed in this post, to which I’m switching now.