EasyInstaller downloads wrong OS version

Hey /e/ OS community,
I’ve recently purchased a Fairphone 4 and wanted to try out /e/ OS (in my first attempt of installing I accidentally bricked it and had to send it back to Fairphone, but that’s a different story).
Now, I’m super cautious and don’t want to do anything wrong. Today I tried to install /e/ OS on my device using the EasyInstaller and I checked the automatically downloaded IMG files in the application directory (I’m using macOS). Unfortunately, the EasyInstaller didn’t download the latest /e/ OS IMG file available for the FP4 (as I’ve seen from the hashes of the file, it always downloads version 1.8.1 and not 1.9). I think that I need the newest version, because the security patch level of my Fairphone is February 5 2023 and the /e/ OS Download Page lists the current security patch level of the /e/ OS images also as 2023-02-05 (so only the newest version has this security patch level, right?)
So, my question: When does the installer download the latest / the right version of /e/ OS? Or doesn’t it matter at all which version I use and I can go with the one it downloads every time? As mentioned, I’m super cautious and don’t want to do anything wrong.

Many thanks in advance for you patience and your help! It’s great that there exists awesome people like you that make such a project possible :+1:!

Thanks for raising this. Let me check with the devices team and get back with the correct security patch date for the latest build. Will have the documentation updated as well.

1 Like

To specify: My question is why the EasyInstaller doesn’t download the latest available version of /e/ OS for the Fairphone 4, as I need a version with a security patch newer or equal to 2023-02-05.

Or does every downloadable image listed in the download section of the installation tutorial (/e/ image ROM download) have the newest security patch level?

Security patch levels should be visible here: Releases · e / os / releases · GitLab.
It should be S version, since stable release is at S on FP4.

2 Likes

Is this still the case?
When I’m downloading https://ota.ecloud.global/builds/full/stable/FP4/IMG-e-latest-s-FP4.zip right now (which I guess is what the Easy Installer would download, but I’m really only guessing here), the SHA256 hash of it matches the one given at https://images.ecloud.global/stable/FP4 for IMG-e-1.9-s-20230310268290-stable-FP4.zip.

1 Like

Yes, thank you very much, now it’s working! It seems like I’ve made some mistake previously or it takes a while until the link you mentioned really has the latest image (or something else, I don’t know, it’s working now, yay :grinning: )

2 Likes