Ecloud.global maintenance scheduled *today* 16:00 CEST

A major ecloud.global maintenance operation is scheduled today. We are moving all the infrastructure to a new hosting provider. The goal is to offer better scalability, security and performance, and to introduce some E2E encryption features later this year.

As a result, all the ecloud.global infrastructure will be down for several hours today. This includes:

• e.email access from ecloud.global or from a mail client
  • ecloud.global portal access
  • all /e/ OS synchronization features (pictures, videos, files…)

Note: incoming emails won’t be lost, as mail servers retry for several days before giving up sending an email.

Other websites at /e/ won’t be impacted.

The downtime window will probably be several hours, since several terabytes of data have to be transferred, and some tests performed until everything is back.

The infrastructure will be off starting from: 16:00 CEST July 2nd 2020 (today). Hopefully services will be up again before 20:00 CEST.

We apologize for the inconvenience, but this operation is absolutely needed to increase the quality of our services.

Any update about this maintenance operation will be added to this message.

Update Friday July 3rd 2020: the migration has been completed during the night. Email service should be fully operational now. Ecloud services still have some issues, we hope to be able to fix everything soon.

Update Friday July 3rd 2020, 13:32 CEST all the migration went fine but we are still experiencing some issues under heavy load, so access to ecloud.global is currently disabled by default. We still need to figure out what is causing issues under heavy load. Will update as soon as we have some significant improvements. Sorry again for the inconvenience.

Update Friday July 3rd 2020, 23:31 CEST After the complete migration, we had major issues to have all services back again. The main reason is that we wanted to migrate to Nextcloud Encryption for user data but, despite 4 months of testing, it finally didn’t work. So we had to choose between reverting completely to our older infrastructure, or moving progressively to the new infrastucture, with a quite similar setup as the older one. We chose the second option but it’s still ongoing progress. We hope to be fully operational again during the week end. Stay tuned.

Update Monday July 6th, 10:30 CEST Arnau has updated this thread already during the past three days. Just let me give a quick update: during the rollback to the first server, we notived that the load was huge, and was close to put the server down. Latest investigations show that a few IP generate a very big part of the incoming traffic. Another thing is that probably login token have timeout, so the /e/OS edrive service probably requests new loggin for each user. At least we now have a good view of what prevents us to restart correctly on the short term, and what needs to be done for the new V1.5 implementation. We’re still doing some checks now, and some loading up attempts, then we take the decision to spread the restart load over a few hours or more on this server, or tomorrow we will upgrade to a much bigger server. We are trying to minimize the down time. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

17 Likes

Good to hear! What hosting provider?

1 Like

I’d love to know if our data will still be in European servers.

1 Like

The answer is yes. We are switching from OVH to Hetzner with datacenters in Germany and Finland.

12 Likes

The same provider used by libredns.gr

1 Like

This made my day: https://www.hetzner.com/unternehmen/umweltschutz/
At least in my conscience.
Thanks @GaelDuval

7 Likes

Hi everyone,

the maintenance is still ongoing but in the final phase. You may find mail service is partially up. Please expect ~2h more until ecloud.global is up again.

Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience!
Arnau

4 Likes

Ah, that’s why I couldn’t find these websites, and couldn’t set up a BAT tip for them. :slight_smile:
Btw, Spot’s header with the “Mail” and “Drive” have wrong URLs. Please keep Spot running, it’s a great service.

Thanks for the Spot tip, we’ll probably have to replace those with a single link to ecloud.global.
We don’t intend to stop the service, rather to improve it in the second half of the year and 2021.

Scratch that. I’m getting the error message “Network or I/O error- Unable to resolve host “ecloud.global”: No address associated with hostname”.

I’m still not able to access ecloud.global through my browser. Although everything has started syncing again on my phone.

Hi,

apologies, we did face more complications than anticipated even when everything was “mostly ready”… the new DNS records are live since a few minutes. Some machines already see https://ecloud.global in the new server, can you please check again?

Thank you everyone for your patience and understanding. Let us know if you face any issues with the new installation.

Kind regards,
Arnau

1 Like

Unfortunately, I get this when accessing https://ecloud.global:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator if this error reappears multiple times, please include the technical details below in your report.
More details can be found in the server log.

Furthermore, my Android email client (Fairmail) notifies me about an “HTTP-server error - Expected 207 Multi-Status, got 200 OK”.

Hi,

This morning, no syncing on the phone (still getting some errors) and not able to reach ecloud.global on the browser (internal server error).

This is what i get when i try to reach webmail.ecloud.global i guess something is not as it should be.

https://webmail.ecloud.global/

Unable to communicate securely with peer: requested domain name does not match the server’s certificate.

HTTP Strict Transport Security: true
HTTP Public Key Pinning: false

Certificate chain:

-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----

No worries, thanks for all the work. I did initially see the login page but then I received the following message:

Internal Server Error

The server was unable to complete your request.

If this happens again, please send the technical details below to the server administrator.

More details can be found in the server log.

Technical details

• Remote Address: 10.4.0.1
  • Request ID: 7N1CBUfPYkZdVO3kVlM7

Thanks all for reporting the errors. The team is working on resolving the issue.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

6 Likes

Screenshot at 2020-07-03 09-39-16

Hi all.
Still not working for me. No availability via web and no sync on phone.
HTTP 504 / HTTP 405 / etc

1 Like