Fairphone 3 noticeably slower after os update

Hello,

I,ve updated my fairphone 3 four days ago to version: /e/OS 0.23-20220324173215. Since then it seems to be a bit slower. At first I recognised it when I unlocked the screen. Before, when i pressed the unlock button it immediately started. Now the screen stays noticably longer black. It also reacts unusual laggy while receiving and having a call (screen stays unusally long black after putting phone away from ear) also when recieving a call, the ringtone stutters. Today when I used the camera it crashed to a black screen so I had to remove the battery.
So all in all there’s a setback in terms of performance and I would like to downgrade to the version before and try upgrading again when the next update is out.
Can someone tell me how to downgrade?
Thanks and greetings

Raphael

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

3 Likes

I have exactly the same experience on FP3 Q-0.23.

I also have the same experience on the FP3.
And I also noticed that the notification led is not working for mail notifications.
As well as it is no longer possible to change the color of the UI theme.

Thanks @ratbart and @leif for replying. Maybe one of you has “delete update after installing” in the pre settings of systemupdates disabled. (My phone’s menu is in german so maybe theres a difference in the naming :sweat_smile: ) Maybe you could downgrade this way and see if it works. I unfortunately just disabled this after upgrading, so I cannot try it myself :frowning:

@roughael are you sure, you are not on a dev release?
I got on my fairphone 3+ /e/OS 0.23-20220406175185.
And this pop up on 07.04.22. So what you have seems to be a developement release.
Maybe you have in the deveoperoptions test releases activated. Look for “Connect to /e/OS test channel”, it should be down on the bottom. The name changed, bevor it was called something wit OTA or so.
Don’t you have any newer releases shown in the update app?

@ratbart they seem to have forgotten to enable led blinking for the E-Mail app. Just switch it on by yourself.

If the phone feels slow, just set performance profile on performance and disable the three animation options in the developers options.

If anybody wants to stop guessing, just have a look at Settings - About phone - Android version (tap on it) - /e/ version (can be long-tapped and copied to clipboard since Android 10). All the important info in one text string :wink: .

1 Like

I am on dev release.
I have switch on led blinking for the E-mail app, but it not working.
fp3 is slower compared to 0.22. I had already increased performance in the past.

Im have stable and it works really nice. Touchscreen is even better than on 0.22. Much more responsive. The speed over all is the same as bevor. Maybe a little bit faster.
And of course the led is blinking when new E-Mail arrives. I also had to enable it first, it was disabled.

Thanks for your replies! “Connect to /e/ channel test release” is unchecked, however for some reason I’m on a dev release
e_FP3-userdebug 10 QQ3A.200805.001 eng.root.20220324.225205 dev-keys,dev-release
Refreshing in the update option doesn’t help… Can I download the official build manually somwhere?

dev builds are official. There’s test builds before that, which aren’t public … https://doc.e.foundation/build-status. If nothing too worrysome turns up after rolling out the dev builds, usually the stable release channel will just match them a couple of days later.

A change of the release channel is possible by installing a stable build of the OS from scratch, wiping your data in the process.
On the Fairphone 3/3+ you can install stable builds yourself manually or with the Easy Installer … https://doc.e.foundation/devices/FP3

Oh, reinstalling to switch to stable is really bad. I’m lucky that I picket stable as I installed /e/OS.
May be if you stay on dev, you can take this strategy.
If the first 0.24 release show up in the update app install the latest 0.23 release. Could it be, that this version is the stable release?
Or are there already 0.24 dev releases visible, bevor final 0.23 is released and pop up in dev installation?

You can get up to speed with published builds by clicking the download links accessed from the device install page. So, regarding FP3, Install /e/ on a Fairphone FP3/3+ - “FP3” we see:

Downloads for the FP3

• /e/OS build : R dev – or Q and R (beta) dev.
  • /e/OS build : Q stable