Fairphone 3+ performance issues with /e/OS 0.16-20210422111920

Have you tried installing and running either LineageOS plus OpenGapps, and/or LineageOS for MicroG and comparing the performance? This might give a clue as to whether the problem lues with /e/, MicroG, or LineageOS (though it’s a bit of a faff, and you may have better things to do with your time :wink: )

2 Likes

Seconded.
I can’t complain about the performance on 0.17-q-20210529117214-dev-FP3, but I don’t use the Apps mentioned.
Could be interesting.

1 Like

Mine runs indeed on maximum battery saving, this is the slowest setting possible. I wouldn’t say it’s slow. The only slow app is Signal which takes a few seconds.

The times mentioned above are indeed long. But measuring startup times is not easy, I guess there’s a lot of caching behind. Fact is, starting some apps takes on the same device sometimes a measurable time and sometimes not.

Hm, background apps? (But an always running background app would also be remarkable in battery consumption.) Tracker analyzing apps? Harmful developer settings?

Hi all

First of all many thanks for all reply ! :slight_smile:

I will definitely try installing Lineage or Official Android of Fairphone 3. I’ve switched to /e/ several months ago with easy installer, so I think I need to unlock the bootloader to install TWRP. It will be more convenient to try different OS. (I’m more confortable on Linux/PC than on … Linux/ARM ? :smiley: )

@irrlicht indeed, I don’t really know if there is more relevant benchmark app I can try.
Sometimes, when the battery is very low, like 10% Tiers app (which is a freefloating electric scooter renting) jus’t don’t launch. I’ve mentionned MicroG, but it’s pure hypothesis.

Moreover, in general utilization, I find the 0.17 branch less reactive than the previous 0.16 branch. It’s purely a feeling, and I just could be wrong :slight_smile:

I also had performance issues on my fairphone 3+
I replaced the “bliss” launcher with “kiss launcher” and also remove the animations.
it helps a lot
On my phone, it is especially the photo software which is very slow, in high resolution.
the launch of discord is a bit slow also i find.
I wonder if it will not be a problem of firmware (graphic?) not updated on / e / compared to the stock version of android ?

/e/ gets firmware updates from Fairphone, they have an official partnership in place.

Settings - About phone - Android version - Vendor security patch level … and they tend to mention when they imported from stock at https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/os/releases/-/releases.

I don’t believe the firmware update (driver) is the same as a security update?

on what I read on version 0.17:
“we imported 3.A.0101 update” which dates from 2019
there is much more recent I think

i installed opencamera 1.48.3, the photo processing time is much much faster (but really) compared to a / E / opencamera (1.48.2)

My understanding is that the Vendor security patch level refers to the firmware blobs which come from Qualcomm supposedly.
You would be right in saying that this security patch level says nothing about whether the driver code was changed apart from security aspects. It’s part of the problem of closed source vendor drivers that it’s hard to know what’s in them. I think there’s no public changelog from Qualcomm apart from security bulletins.

What you mean was 8901.2.A.0101.

3.A.0101 is from the end of April 2021 … https://forum.fairphone.com/t/software-update-3-a-0101-20210420/72309.

The most recent was 3.A.0107 … https://forum.fairphone.com/t/software-update-3-a-0107-20210513/73231.

2 Likes

Thank you for the details

something else, it is impossible to update microg via fdroid. (with repo add)

microG is integrated into the /e/ system. It gets updated with /e/ OS updates.

But you can uninstall the /e/ version (search in the forums for “uninstall system apps”), the install the official MicroG GsmCore from the F-Droid repo. That way you will stay up to date and not have to wait for updates from /e/.

1 Like

Without any downside to it? I thought there was a reason why there’s a LineageOS fork with integrated microG out there.

No downside! The only reason /e/ forked MicroG GmsCore was to have a version without the Exposure Notification framework. Before they chose to do that, they were shipping the standard version from MicroG. Essentially /e/ used Lineage OS for MicroG as the starting point for their de-Googling work.

With ‘normal’ Lineage OS - and most other custom Android ROMs - users either live without the Google Apps and APIs, or they install Open Source versions of them, e.g. OpenGapps.

With Lineage OS for MicroG, that isn’t necessary, as it includes alternative versions of those Apps and APIs. So Lineage OS for MicroG isn’t really a ‘fork’ of Lineage OS: it’s LOS plus

• F-Droid and F-Droid Privileged Extension
  • MicroG’s apps (GmsCore, GsfProxy, FakeStore and mapsv1 API)
  • MozillaNlpBackend
  • NominatimNlpBackend

/e/ is Lineage OS for MicroG minus F-Droid and F-Droid Privileged Extension and, currently, with their own fork of MicroG GmsCore, plus

• de-Googled versions of various Apps (Mail, Calendar, Message etc.)
  • built-in integration with the e-cloud services, based on NextCloud and DAVx5
  • Bliss Launcher :slight_smile:
  • their own App store

Unless you believe there are real privacy problems with the EN framework (there aren’t :slight_smile:), using the upstream version of GmsCore, from the MicroG F-Droid repo, is definitely the way to go.

1 Like

LineageOS for microG FAQ … this is what I meant, this doesn’t somehow come into play? …

Why do we need a custom build of LineageOS to have microG? Can’t I install microG on the official LineageOS?
MicroG requires a patch called ‘signature spoofing’, which allows the microG’s apps to spoof themselves as Google Apps. LineageOS’ developers refused (multiple times) to include the patch, forcing us to fork their project.

Open GApps installs the genuine Google Apps and services, not Open Source versions of them.

OK. My mistakes - sorry

• L4M is a fork because it has the restricted Signature Spoofing patch which is needed if MicroG is to work properly. This patch allows built-in system apps can pretend to be Google apps (e,g. GmsCore ‘pretends’ to be Google’s Play services. Any ROM that wants to use MicroG fully, needs this patch. So /e/ has it too. My point stands though, that this isn’t a ‘downside’ of using the official version of MicroG in place of /e/'s ‘broken’ (i.e. without the EN framework) version.
  • I didn’t know that. But again my point stands: users of other ROMs either live without the Google Apps and APIs / services or they install them via some build of Gapps. /e/ and L4M both provide MicroG as an alternative to the Google versions. There is no real difference (or ‘downside’) between using the official version direct from MIcroG or /e/'s fork. And it is usually better to use an ‘upstream’ version of something, rather than a fork, unless there are compelling reasons not to do so. I know of no valid (IMHO :slight_smile: ) reasons to use /e/'s fork of MicroG.
1 Like

@watertable

Hi, I’m currently experiencing the same performance issues with my Fairphone 3+.
I was wondering if you figured something out ?

this is an older thread and @watertable probably switched phones.

From another thread I looked how I’d programmatically measure startup times and put it into [HOWTO] Benchmark App Startup

I think profile Apps (Island/Shelter) do have considerable overhead, but I’d need to measure to speak to it. Also time-to-user-interaction is not the same as fully-drawn if it is a splash/loading screen. I don’t know yet how to measure app-switching.

I extracted your timings for other FP3(+) users to compare to:

• installed Island to run WhatsApp and Telegram on the work profile, Switching to any of the Island apps can take a good 5/6 seconds
  • Spotify: 15 seconds “for it to start and stabilize”
  • Magic Earth can take 5/6 seconds to load
  • Brave: scrolling stops and I have to take the focus out of the app and come back to it in order for me to be able to keep scrolling again
  • Taking a photo (in normal mode, no HDR or anything) can take a good 4/5 seconds