Fairphone 3 with E/OS going in and out of connection with 4G+ all the time after latest update. URGENT

Fairphone 3 with E/OS going in and out of connection with 4G+ all the time after latest update.
It switches between showing no 4G icon at the top of the screen and no connection.
or 4G icon but also no connection. Only when it says 4G+ it has connection.

Help urgently needed cause this is the only phone I got and I can’t use it this way.
1.10-s-20230412278810-stable-FP3

Thank you

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

Did you already try to turn off the phone (not just a reboot, real shutdown), wait a few seconds, then turn it on again?

Does it perhaps help if you put your SIM card into the other SIM card slot?

On the software side of things, there would be Settings - System - Reset options - Reset Wi-Fi, mobile & Bluetooth.

Else … Where are you located and what’s your mobile network provider?

Ok, APN settings then, whatever works :crossed_fingers: .

Yes I did. You are right reset helped indeed. I contacted KPN in Holland. They suggested to do a reset of the APN and of the network settings. The first one (APN) seemed to do the trick.
Keeping my fingers crossed at the moment.

I have the same problem as above. Unstable connection, turning off and not turning on again in a stable manner, 4G+ is shown only sometimes, data monitor also shows no connection. Actions that require internet say I’m offline most of the time.

Resetting wifi/mobile/bluetooth and restarting the phone did not solve the problem. Made new APN settings for my provider KPN and activated them, turned off the phone and waited, turned it back on then. This seemed to work for an hour or so, then the connection went back to being unreliable again, turning off at random. Turning off the phone completely and then turning on seems to work, but only for about 20 mins or so. Then the connection goes back to being completely unreliable, making the phone unusable as a daily phone. Are there any ideas about how to proceed? This used to be very reliable, but after the update in which the location problems were fixed, this was introduced as a new problem. Probably not related, but mentioning it just to be sure.

1 Like

Forgot to mention: I also tried the suggestion above of using the other sim slot (both my SIMS are KPN, one work and one private, both have 4G), both connections have the same problem, so it does not seem to be SIM slot related.

1 Like

There have been a number of failures which “look like” an apn failure, but may have been partially explained by /e/ support in a French language post translated and referenced here SMS - can receive, cannot send after update to v1.15 - #3 by petefoth.

Searching for related issues on our gitlab, I am really not certain if this https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/backlog/-/issues/7303 is the issue being referred. Sorry not to be able to help more.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply! The issue I am describing does not seem related. I can edit the APN settings and the issue you refer to seems to be about APN settings being read-only. For me it is about the connection being unreliable and unstable if I use mobile internet. Thank you for the suggestion though.

Thank you aibd. I wonder if it is really necessary to update all the time. If one has a functioning version why not just stay with that?

Hi BST. How did you adjust APN settings I can only select? Also using KPN and BEN.

Hi, I went to network settings; SIMs; clicked the sim, scroll down to Access Point Names; use the + button in the upper right corner. Then I added APN according to KPN settings I found in another topic here somewhere. Note that this did not fix my problem, but if you want to try that is how I did it.

Exactly, no fix needed if you have no problem.

Your report of … “something like apn changed with /e/OS version upgrade” seems sub-optimal; most of the ideas I ever had about this are already seen in my replies to existing apn threads. I am out of ideas.

1 Like

Thank you very much for all your help. I got it working with the APN but after latest update problem is back
1.15-s-20230913330639-stable-FP3

Well if you can document that this is repeatable, and show where the error is you could Report an issue against https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/os/android_vendor_lineage/-/blob/v1-t/prebuilt/common/etc/apns-conf.xml?ref_type=heads, if that was the problem.

For me it is repeatable. Steps are as follows:

Turn on the phone with 4g enabled. 4g+ initially works, but if I look after 10-15 minutes, the 4G+ symbol is gone. If you use an app which requires an internet connection, it will show “offline”.

It can also be repeated using the following steps:
Phone in 4G+ mode. Turn on wifi. Let wifi connect. Wait for 30 seconds. Turn wifi off. At this point 4g+ reconnects for a short time, and then drops the connection and goes offline. For me this is repeatable every time.

1 Like

Sorry I am not that technical. How do I show where the error is?

Do you have a problem if others could get problems via your device’s security holes with you not even trying to prevent the preventable?

"But what has all of this got to do with you? To put it simply: it’s entirely possible that your computer, your smartphone, your smart TV or your robotic vacuum cleaner is part of a botnet and is being remotely controlled right now - without you knowing anything about it.
It’s your responsibility to make sure that you take action to prevent others from taking control of your technology and using it for attacks."

“Attackers primarily exploit weaknesses in Microsoft operating systems and Android devices to hijack end-user systems. However, if you use a different operating system, you can’t afford to be complacent.”

(Source … why phrase myself when I can quote.)

1 Like

Learned something new again. Thank you AnotherElk

Of course you are right, but we are not all understanding each other here, and I did not make any link in my mind that @eosfan would avoid updating his phone because of this issue. :slight_smile:

I would have, to do exactly that. So happy with the additional info.

While I understand it is useful to discuss why one would update or not, it is a bit diluting for the original problem being discussed. Would it be okay to get back to that? I will need to get a new phone if I don’t fix this problem and I would rather not :slight_smile:

1 Like