[FEATURE PROPOSAL] Hide my email and password manager

Hello /e/ community
I think the platform would be improved with additional privacy and security features related to sharing the users identity on the web and in apps. Two related suggestions below

• ‘Hide of email’ - this is an ios feature that creates a spoof email address when prompted to setup an account for a web site or app. It enables the user to create the account, including account verification, without disclosing their ‘real’ email address link

• integrated password manager - similar to LastPass or keepass with cross platform availability and storage of encrypted password on the ecloud server. This should include a password generator and database of passwords

I know these are two separate features, but I feel they are interrelated and aim to enhance the privacy and security of the user while interacting web services and apps (first is username/identity protection and second password protection).

This is obviously also very well aligned with the aim and intent of the integrated /e/os, e.cloud approach by providing privacy and security, in a frictionless way, when using the device and the internet.

Thanks also to the developers of this platform, 1 week in and loving it!

m

1 Like

Yes, I would really like to see those features in /e/

/e/ team has limited size and lots of tasks to handle, why not using already available opensource solutions?

For hiding mailaddress I have 2 suggestion, duckhduckgo mail protection which is mentioned as part of this post:

Another solution is SimpleLogin

For password protection, if you want cloud sync, then I recommend opensource app Bitwarden

Some prefers non-cloud passwmanagers, but bitwarden is probably one of most used and closer to LastPass so recommend it.

All apps mentioned can be found at f-droid, bitwarden does need it’s own f-droid repository though.

https://mobileapp.bitwarden.com/fdroid/

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply, and noted re. limited developer time. I didn’t know about the Duckduckgo mail protection feature, looks good and I’ll give it a crack, and I’m already using bitwarden.

However, I maintain that tightly coupling these 2 features into /e/os (by forking one of the open source solutions?) would align nicely with the intent of the OS and provide an additional layer of privacy/security that I think the average /e/os user is looking for, or else why would they go to the effort of flashing this onto their phone…

I appreciate the time and effort going into this project, a private and secure phone os is sorely needed and /e/os is easily the most accessible out there at the moment. Keep up the great work!