[FEATURE PROPOSAL] Using OpenMoji as default emoji set for /e/OS

Good morning or good evening, everyone,

I would like to make a suggestion for the complete and progressive redesign that /e/ is undertaking.

In the default AOSP keyboard, the emojis used are the ones created by Google and I think that this may go against the approach, which is to “de-Google” totally the Android system.

Fortunately, while browsing community projects, I found this open-source and free to use emojis project that I find, well, quite intriguing.

It’s called OpenMoji and this is the site :

https://www.openmoji.org/

So, the project is far from perfect, but I think that using OpenMoji by default will strengthen the “de-Googlization” approach on the UI and UX level.

What do you think about this? Well, I think it’s a very nice emoji set that would be perfect for the mobile environment of /e/OS.

Thanks to you.

Some exemples :

4 Likes

Oh, boy :sweat:.

I just saw just now that somebody already talked about the subject…

1 Like

Cool, so we are already two who love these! I am looking a little bit in how to make it with a Magisk Module… but I am not very good in programming…

2 Likes

It doesn’t have to be very complicated, but you have to follow the tutorials dedicated to them and not all smartphone models are necessarily compatible with Magisk and/or the Root in general.

1 Like

great supporter of this! would love to have them.

3 Likes

So I was digging a bit in this matter. In fact, OpenMojis can’t yet be really used, because the color version works only in Firefox. I tried to make a Magisk module, but had only black/white emojis. So I found out that colors work only in Firefox. Too bad… but let’s wait a bit and I guess we will see them work in every surrounding!
So for the moment I stick with Joy Pixels (formerly EmojiOne), these are great emojis too, and there exists a Magisk Module.

Cheers!

1 Like

that’s odd, why have they chosen the colours the way they do then? You’d think that compatibility would be a key aspect of this project.