From LineageOS 17.x to /e/ on Redmi7

Hi everybody,

So today I installed LineageOS to my Xiaomi Redmi7 but afterwards I saw that /e/ is supported as well, which I prefer by no doubt. Now I’m worried because it says that downgrading from LineageOS 17.x could brick the phone. As a noob that I am, no backup of the stock Android was made. F me for being too hasty.

Can some of you explain this risk any further and give advice how to proceed?

Thanks and have a nice day :sunflower:
johnny

What your device code …On the list of supported devices I see a few Redmi 7’s and some have a Q build

Hi Manjo,

It is the Xiaomi Redmi7 onclite. It says Q in OS Version, but i don’t know what this means.

Thank you very much for your reply!
johnny

Hi @johnny, you can rest assured. This note does not apply to /e/ OS ‘Q’ (Android 10). It comes from the old days, more precisely from the era of /e/ OS 'O’reo 8.1.x.

Screenshot

LineageOS 17.1 is based on AOSP Android 10 and /e/ OS ‘Q’ (Android 1Q) is based on LineageOS 17.1. Switching operating systems is not a problem for the Redmi 7.

You are well advised and prepared for CustomROM ‘Q’ if the starting point of your Redmi 7 is the stock Android 10 V12.0.1.0.QFL*. This adjusts important system elements in the device.

Here we go - happy flashing of /eOS ‘Q’.

1 Like

Hi SuzieQ,

Thank you very much for your answer!

Before installing /e/ OS, the device should be flashed back to the stock rom if i get you right?

Lineage OS installation went like this:
unlocking the bootloader -> installing Lineage recovery with fastboot -> installing the rom with adb

To get back to stock, I would simply download the fastboot .zip file from https://xiaomifirmwareupdater.com/miui/onclite/ (v12 is only available in Chinese?) and flash it with adb sideload just like the Lineage rom but without another recovery? This would be too easy.

And then follow https://doc.e.foundation/devices/onclite/install to get /e/ OS working? First steps would be skipped of course, fastboot is already enabled.

Sorry for all the questions, always used my smartphones out of the box.
johnny

No! That would be the wrong way. This Recovery.ZIP only works with stock Android Recovery, but not with Lineage or eRecovery. The right and best way would be a clean install via fastboot with FASTBOOT onclite_images_V12.0.1.0.QFL*.tgz

This created the optimal basis for CustomROMs ‘Q’ - but is not mandatory in your case, as the current LineageOS 17.1 works.

For a quick and easy /e/ OS ‘Q’ experience,
install the /e/components as befor LineageOS:
first recovery-e-0.14-q-2021020199535-dev-onclite.img
then adb sideload e-0.14-q-2021020199535-dev-onclite.zip.

Well, in essence, flashing is easy, but it’s always a matter of following the correct sequence - step by step.

Hi SuzieQ,

First of all, thank you very much for answering again!

I skipped the installation of stock rom, because I was too unsure what to do. On some Android forum someone wrote, installing a Chinese version would brick a global version phone.

So I did a factory reset in Lineage recovery, and then executed in console:
fastboot flash recovery 'recovery-e-0.14-q-2021020199535-dev-onclite.img'

phone booted in /e/ recovery. So now I formatted Data, Cache and System, couldn’t find menu item ‘Swipe to Wipe’.

Now i tried
adb sideload 'e-0.14-q-2021020199535-dev-onclite.zip'
but got:
adb: sideload connection failed: device unauthorized.
This adb server's $ADB_VENDOR_KEYS is not set
Try 'adb kill-server' if that seems wrong.
Otherwise check for a confirmation dialog on your device.
adb: trying pre-KitKat sideload method...
adb: pre-KitKat sideload connection failed: device unauthorized.
This adb server's $ADB_VENDOR_KEYS is not set
Try 'adb kill-server' if that seems wrong.
Otherwise check for a confirmation dialog on your device.

Yes, it may not be that hard to flash a phone but you need to know what to do :upside_down_face:
johnny

Yeah, that’s why we start again here …

@johnny, if you don’t execute the ‘Swipe to Wipe’ because you didn’t find this button, the wipe will not be confirmed and therefore not executed. However, the deletion is elementary.

Also, it’s important to pay attention to the USB cable connection between host computer and Redmi7…

The note “device unauthorized” in the failure message means that your Redmi7 isn’t synochronized with your PC. Also others messages give good indication to check your PC ↔ Phone connection.

Try again. It will succeed as well as with LOS 17.1

1 Like

Hi SuzieQ,

/e/ OS is now successfully installed on my device!

There was no Swipe to Wipe button, but it said wipe was successful after wiping Data, Cache and System. Guess I didn’t enable adb to access the phone in the recovery the last attempt. Missed the obvious because of all the caution to not do something wrong.

Google’s time archiving photos of me nose picking is over.

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me. Wish you the best!
johnny