Gigaset GS290, how to root and install ZIP files?

I suggest you download the img file again from the installation instructions page: https://doc.e.foundation/devices/GS290/install.
Don’t forget to proof the checksum to be the same as provided there!

For starting into fastboot, disconnect the USB cable and push volume+up (or +down if not working, I’m not sure… :-/) until the device boots into fastboot menu. Follow the instructions on screen to select fastboot mode. (If you got a menu showing manyandarin symbols, just try again with +down (or +up…)
After setting the device into fastboot mode, connect the USB cable and flash the boot image with the above command.

Good luck!
Chris

thanks so much. could it be the IMG-e15 is buggy (from previous posts) or maybe boot.img is not for this version any way I’ll try, my best.

update: so I could cure the endless loop by reflashing img from scratch: the point was related to fastboot wiping incorrectly on ubuntu
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=960123

so as explained in there, if you get troubles with default debian fastboot, use the android sdk instead.
thanks for help.

does it work for Fedora33

I didn’t ever run Fedora but it’s a Linux thus it should be feasible, Yes! :slight_smile: Maybe you need to install a package named fastboot or similar. Just search “fastboot fedora33” and you will find the correct package name.

kind regards
Chris

1 Like

Thank you Chris. I will raise a topic at the Fedora forum site asking for a package to use :shushing_face:

Hey J.B.R,

what do you think to achieve using the TWRP app (not the flashable img file)? I never used the TWRP app so have no idea what it does. But since unofficial TWRP (see link above) can be flashed and seems to work (for me) I don’t assume the app would bring any further benefit. :-/

kind regards
Christian

1 Like

Hey Chris. I went back to read on the TWRP. It only for W1ndows or not Fedora 33 as I understand :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Don’t now were you’re reading about TWRP or which (bad) translator you’re using :wink: but TWRP is a recovery system (OS if you want) for Android devices. It can be considered a further OS besides Android which can be used to manage the Android installation.
So TWRP is the first you have to install before you install the e/OS/ system zip file.

Kind regards
Chris

1 Like

I wonder if you would recomend an experimental TWRP to a newbie (as @anon21640558) with a bricked GS290?

1 Like

Yes, I would, 'cause its even easier to use than THW eRecovery. Btw. I disn’t know that his device is bricked. But if it is, maybe there’s no way to fix it without completely reflashing it using SP Flash Tool (https://mtktool.com/sp-flash-tool-v5-1708).
I know how to use this tool but am not able to describe the process. :-/

Kind regards
Chris

1 Like

@chrisphl, thank you for your reply!

There are many with semi-bricked GS290 who then appear to brick them by using SP flashtool!

I would very much like to see how we could assist some GS290 owners by writing a recovery solution, perhaps with TWRP?

Post script edit.

What follows is a small walkthrough of a suggested method of rescue for GS290.

Although this thread is originally titled “how to root and install ZIP files” the proposed rescue method which follows does not use use or expect root.

The version of TWRP used here is twrp-3.5.0-35-GS290.img

found here

https://build.lolinet.com/file/twrp/GS290/android-10.0/twrp-3.5.0-35-GS290.img

2 Likes

I’m not that deep into it so never heard of that much people who semi bricked their devices. But as far as there is a way to get the GS290 back to work using the recovery, the instructions are right here: https://doc.e.foundation/devices/GS290/install. Just work it through until " fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" but replace recovery.img with twrp-.img and it should bring the device back to live running TWRP now install e/OS/ zip file from here: https://images.ecloud.global/stable/GS290/. (Don’t forget to fully wipe the device before flashing the zip file, to make sure to do a vanilla installation.)

Kind regards
Chris

[Edit]
If not possible by using TWRP like described above, there’s IMHO no way to bypass the SP Flash Tool.
[/Edit]

1 Like

Just to add to what you say, here is an image of TWRP setting out to do such a wipe.

You reach this from Wipe > “Advanced wipe”.

2 Likes

… and when a user has collected their latest, (read the date, YYYYMMDD) stable image from here

they transfer it to their SD card.

In this way TWRP will be able to find it by …

Install > up a level > Select: external_sd > scroll to files > Select your copied image …

… the next image shows a simulation. (The user will see e-xxxxxxxxxxxgs290.zip exactly as he previously copied) here the e-image.zip file is selected by TWRP …

2 Likes

Note, uncheck, signature.

This image had uncheck reboot.

I think that is best!

Because, once the flash is reported successful, I would go back > back,

…and then do the advanced wipe of 4 items, just like you did already.

Then > back, Reboot > …

(reboot) System

This is quite experimental! but aimed at a newbie with what they believe to be a bricked device.

Anyone thnks this wrong, please say so!

I never had TWRP damage a device.

If you do get to boot your bricked device onto TWRP, please just stop to reflect, perhaps test TWRP by finding how to reboot the device back into Recovery mode, by looking at the images above for guidance.

Ask yourself, is this TWRP stable?

One more thing, do not start any recovey job with the battery in low state of charge. The rescue will involve more than one reboot. This uses considerable power. If the battery cannot sustain full required reboot, the system will be left unstable.

3 Likes

I wasn’t bricked before. I happen after

I’ve been surfing the internet for a while, while i was searching for this file
twrp-3.5.0-35-GS290.img

But i got no luck,
official website gives me a 404 not found and i can’t manage to find it anywhere else,
also i’m not that good on android to build my own TWRP recovery for this device, any help/suggestions?
Thanks

Do you have the file .img or know an alternative link ?

@LobiSfondati, you are asking about GS290 TWRP? There was a link Edit. The link found in this thread was taken down. The issue with a sub set of TWRP images at that time never went official as they were reported not fully functional.

Now I know of no such link myself, sorry.

Don’t worry it was just for personal curiosity. Thanks.