Gigaset GS290 update e-0.15-q 'stable' now also available

Android security patch level 5. Februar 2021

I got the update pushed to my GS-290 but it fails.

Finding update package…
Opering update package…
Verifying update package…
E: failed to verify whole-file signature
Update package verification took 4.8 s (result 1).
E: Signature verification failed
E: error 21
Installation aborted

Hi @keesson01, I’m talking about /e/OS ‘Q’ “stable” version here.

According to my records, your e-0.13-q-2020121590520 you installed is the /e/ OS version “dev”.

Why OTA update IMG-e-0.15-q-20210311105636-dev-GS290 didn’t work for you, I can only guess.

Which custom recovery did you install: eRecovery or TWRP Recovery?

I also received the 0.15 update for my (self-installed) /e/ on GS290. Is there a step-by-step manual how to install the update? I got into stuff that I don’t understand, choosing between installers / side-loading etc.

Thanks!

Hi @sugit, both /e/OS ‘Q’ versions can be installed by the user “(self-installed)” on GS290". This means that the stable version is not exclusively reserved for buyers of the ePhone from the eShop.

OTA update and also manual update is managed by the Recovery-Tool. The operation of the tools is similar but not identical.

To avoid misunderstandings, it is therefore important for me to know which /e/OS version and which recovery version is now installed on your GS290 in order to answer your question.

Thanks a lot @SuzieQ.
I have installed my GS290 myself (not bought in the shop). It has version 0.13-2020121590520.

The update offered is 0.15-20210311105636.

Okay @sugit, you’ve installed 'dev’ version. But I still don’t know which recovery tool is installed!

Please remember: The thread title talks about e-0.15-q ‘stable’ and not about ‘dev’ version.

Oops @SuzieQ, this brings up more questions for this humble phone user:

• So I am right now on the 0.13 dev version – should I go to the e.0.13 stableversion first? How?
  • How can I see which “Recovery” is installed?
  • More general: how do I get to the 0.15 stable version?
  • Is there a manual to do the upgrade? , like there is for installing a new version, e.g. Install /e/ on a Gigaset GS290 - “GS290”

Sorry, I’ve been off the air for a while. My GS290 uses E-Recovery version 0.13 (20201209). It just does not accept the update package

I have two other GS290 phones who upgraded flawless to e-0.15-q form e-013. Only my own GS290 doesn’t

In that case, I would back up the most important data to an external data medium, then risk a “dirty flash” of e-0.13-q-2020121590520. Maybe this process fixes the update blockade …

If all else fails, flash the current IMG-e-0.15-q-20210311105636-dev-GS290.

Try again to get help for this: I am trying to upgrade: --I click on Update → Preparing the update → Processing the update package → white screen: Recovery.

I click on Apply update → now I get only one option: Apply from ADB. I click on that → next screen says “ADB Sideload”, with only one option: Cancel. This goes back to the former screen with Apply from ADB.

So I am in a loop now.

And I don’t understand “ADB Sideload”: isn’t the upgrade package already downloaded to the phone?

Screenshot attached:

According to the workaround mentioned in the bug report below, it is necessary to flash a more up-to-date recovery image first, in order to not get stuck at the “signature verification” stage of the update.

Afterwards, I was able to upgrade from 0.13-dev (manually installed as per official instructions) to 0.15-stable (offered OTA, through the systemupdate app on the phone), without losing any settings or data:

Hi @Manoj,

I am looking for e-0.15-q stable image for GS290.

Is it normal that accessing to https://images.ecloud.global/stable/GS290/ returns an 403 Forbidden error ?

Thanks

The stable images for the Gigaset are yet to be released. Usually folders or images not being present in the location will throw errors. In this case direct access to this folder may be restricted.

Hi @Manoj,
Thanks for having fixed the issue :wink: