GS 290. /* Factory back up before rooting and install*/

Factory back up before rooting and install

The GS290 I unfourtunately bought from a very big Electronic vendor store has preinstalled it’s browser and firmware. I didn’t know that e foundation sells preinstalled GS290 phones in presale (Damn! I want to support).

To avoid accepting anything from the EULA which give this big survialiance industry access to your home network.

What kind of steps are best before you start rooting and updating to Android 10 to go further.

It is recommended to back up your factory settings. And here I’m allready kind off lost. Becourse I have to accept the big company which allready installed their firmware and want me to access their browser by force. I do not want to be part of their control by accepting anything from their EULA becourse it means giving up my rights a pre Android.

So the questions are:

How to back up a GS290 on Fed0ra 33 without accepting The “Biggest browser company” and avoiding preinstalled firmware before rooting and following the further steps to /e/ install ?

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

If you have not owned the phone too long, it is trivial to save your data, (I assume, if not, please ask)

All you need to do is follow the instructions and Factory Reset the phone (I recommend removing all accounts and PINs and personal locks, first)

Does this answer your big issues, not sure of some of your wider points. :smiley:

PS People have different views on rooting, but if you don’t have a pressing need for root, don’t, /e/ does not expect it.

2 Likes

I realised after I went to the vendors site with hope. But they only provide pdf reading about software releases :frowning_face: . Not any download they are willing to share with their customers.

Correct no ROM available from Gigaset at this time. I had a reply from them that they were putting to their devs to release it. The more people ask the better.

So I think you need to just go a bit careful with reading the instructions, bearing in mind you do not have a “factory” backup as a fallback :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I need to root to erase all the preinstalled firmware. I do not want to use their service. I do not want to be a part their politics and before agreeing on something. The problem is lot of people do not read the EULA. I realised that even the hardware isn’t yours even that you thought so and payed for it.

1 Like

You can study the detail more, but /e/ will be overwriting, the OS, so rooting for the reasons you give seems overkill to me!

2 Likes

I do not know so much about the technical stuff yet. But I follow your advice though. I went to find the TWRB. But I didn’t download well. Can you share me some info. A link. You can mail me in my e.email . I’m kind of lost in the moment. But I did understand some new valuable information today by trying to get free with /e/ :nerd_face:

You remind me, I have come across ROM dumps. I am not familiar with it. However if you were to make a full backup of an “empty” GS290 it could be useful to you or others.

You have a Gigaset Recovery, I am not sure that will do a nandroid backup - just an edgy idea!

2 Likes

A back up is for sure step 1. I do not wish to brick the unit. I triede to brick a galaxy note 3. Even it was a common phone and you could find firmware a lot of places. It was the needle in hay to find and reinstall. The problem was that I’m living in a small country. It’s around 8 years ago. I do not know how it is in EU. now. But I do not want to have one more task on my long list of assignments :joy:

Yes as soon that I have the recipee to fullyfi and end the installation. I will off course share in here. But I’m looking for the last pieces to fullfill.

&This didn’t worked for me. Perhaps becourse I’m using Fed0r^ 33 and it is for ,Wind0ws 7,8 & 10.

Could also be the M0z;lla browser blocking the pop ups or protection.

The OP qestion remains.

How do you make a copy of a GS290 original clean ROM?

I suggest there will be some GS290 owners who wish they had done this!

Or would even like to have access to such a backup.

There is this plan B in the event of some troubles.

Reverting to stock ROM on the GS290 for Windows users

I just found this, which I was not previously aware of.

1 Like

Drivers, in Linux?

Are the mentioned in this page?
https://doc.e.foundation/ldevices/GS290/install

1 Like

For Fedora 33 the Terminal commands are:

**sudo dnf search android-tools**
**sudo dnf install android-tools**

and further to get the e Easy installer :slight_smile:

sudo snap install easy-installer --channel=latest/beta

export PATH="$HOME/platform-tools:$PATH"

fastboot device

Is there a way to backup and get acces to the Gigaset290 folder.
I’ve installed the android fastboot package by dnf and now I can see in my Fedora 33 home dir.

Is there a bash command for the Terminal to gain acces and create a Back up recovery file on external media. Before rooting and erasing everything on the device installing the Nougat OS ?

I have used this set of instructions to get started:
https://adbshell.com/

Best to read from the start, perhaps, but you might understand how shell works, for instance adb shell list, then adb pull

I suggest the most important thing is to back up is your IMEI, perhaps known as efs folder or efs partition(s). I do not know their locations on GS290,

Bon chance

PS Some notes from my phone for comparison with better info found elsewhere. :slight_smile:

Summary

protect_f (0.1MB) This partition stores variable data of SIM/RADIO/MODEM/BASEBAND settings and infos.​

protect_s (0.1MB) This partition stores variable data of SIM/RADIO/MODEM/BASEBAND settings and infos.​

nvdata (3.6MB) This partition stores variable data of secure and identifying infos for your device. Like IMEI, WiFi MAC, Bluetooth MAC, calibration data and others.​

nvcfg (0.1MB) This partition stores variable configs of NVDATA and NVRAM.​

persist (0.2MB) This partition stores persistent data for factory reset protection. Like google account and miaccount/micloud.​

nvram (64.0MB) This partition stores persistent data of secure and identifying infos for your device. Like IMEI, WiFi MAC, Bluetooth MAC, calibration data and others.​

proinfo (3.0MB) This partitions stores persistent data of default structure for
NVRAM/RADIO/MODEM/BASEBAND.​

1 Like

No I don’t know so much about the shell only what it is. I just started to learn and read about bash and OpenBSD and a lot of good people helped me through on the Fedora.org community forum like you guys here do.
ilikelinux (username on Fedora.org) showed me this Terminal command

**< ``adb |grep ‘’ > used with -i or -A 2 backupor just adb` and scrolling a bit

I would like to learn more so I’m very gratefull for your help.

I did get into the Gigaset290 shell in the Terminal. But then it’s empty when I use the commands ‘‘ls’’ or pwd. (Maybe I didn’t understand it at all :grin:)

I will try to follow your example but please be very specific becourse this is all very new to me. But I REALLY wish to learn this becourse it is so exiting.

Nice!
ADB root seems to work. But is it calling from a port TCP (Transfere protocol) at port 5037 or what does that mean ?

[TemplePusher@jonas-bloch-riisgaard mtp:host=Gigaset_GS290_GS290CTLC02450]$ adb root
  • daemon not running; starting now at tcp:5037
  • daemon started successfully
    adb: unable to connect for root: no devices/emulators found
    [TemplePusher@jonas-bloch-riisgaard mtp:host=Gigaset_GS290_GS290CTLC02450]$

To have your Linux box communicate with an Android phone you will use Android Bridge. Perhaps look that up to find your level to study. adb commands are not bash, they come from within platform-tools. (android-tools you referred to in fedora https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/android-tools )
The link I sent might not be the most suitable!

You could search for a tutorial on using simple adb commands to find the contents of the SD card for instance, then move on.

(Just checking, when I mentioned adb shell, that was a link onto the middle of the main article. Maybe more significant is “start at the beginning”!)

1 Like

Thanks for telling the difference. I understand that there is a lot of complication. But searching turtorials is often different info until now. I wonder why there is no step by guide yet. I know everything is new on this forum and everybody doing it voluntary. But there is a lot infomations and loose ends for me as a Brand Noobian :joy:

So I’m very gratefull when you make it very clear and come up with examples like this. I do not know where else to look as I very easy looose focus when searching the internet for Turtorials as I allready did for some times.

Hopefully we will build this community together by our experiences and then create an step by step guide for dummies (like me)

does any of you know what this means:

$ADB_MDNS_AUTO_CONNECT   comma-separated list of mdns services to allow auto-connect (default adb-tls-connect)