How and Where to contribute?

Hi /e/ team!

If I want to fork, modify and pull request which branch should I do it on? 0.1 or 0.2?

1 Like

Really, no answer? I would have though you would welcome contributionsā€¦

Hi! Your contribution is more than welcome :slight_smile: Iā€™m not a devā€™ but I suggest you to have a look to the ā€œHow can I contribute to /e/?ā€ section here:
https://e.foundation/community/

I also moved your topic to a better section in the forum :slight_smile:

Cheers :slight_smile:

Hi Julien, thanks for your response.

Iā€™m not sure that building is a better section, thatā€™s why I didnā€™t put the post there at first, but itā€™s your choice.

That webpage you linked doesnā€™t say which branch to work on, nor do any of the pages linked to by that page.

This is why I asked the question.

Thanks.

Maybe you can tell us more about what development you would like to bring to /e/, e.g. support of a new device or migration to Oreo, or integration of new feature. That may help us on guiding you the best and potentially connect you to some other guys.

1 Like

Hi Patrick,
Thatā€™s fair enough.
I just want to work on some simple issues that have been raised:

On reflection, I need to know a bit more than 0.1 or 0.2, since the branches are different for different repos.

Or maybe you prefer that I donā€™t work work on them as it doesnā€™t fit with the other work youā€™re doing?

2 Likes

Since I didnā€™t get a reply Iā€™m just using master, or whatever seems to be trunk equivalent.

@madbilly as you may be aware eelo-0.1 branch is based on cm-14.1. eelo-0.2 which is currently w.i.p would be based on Lineage 15.1 . Effectively that would mean that 0.1 will build you nougat based ROMā€™s while 0.2 ā€¦when it comes will support oreo.For now you can target the eelo-0.1 branch as that is the version which is available for users for download. All defects have also been raised on the same branch.
Thanks for offering to help out. As the development team is swamped with working on the eelo.0.2 and the defect fixes on 0.1 any help which you can provide would be welcome.

2 Likes

Thanks @Manoj, actually not all repos have those branches, some are completely different, which is one reason I asked. Since I couldnā€™t find a way to do a pull request the issue became irrelevant.

Hello @madbilly

I think this news may guide you too give your best efforts to the project:

I hope this is useful for you :slight_smile:

Hi @madbilly thanks for your response. As @Julien has mentioned in his response there are multiple projects where you can help and /e/ development team. An extra pair of hands is always welcome :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Manoj,
I think Iā€™m not explaining myself well, or at least explanations from a few weeks ago have been forgotten - see my earlier posts.

There were several issues in the gitlab.e.foundation repos that I felt I could contribute to, so I asked which branches I should be working on for these issues. This is the normal way of contributing to open source projects - look at the issues, pick one, raise PR with the fix. The list of projects which @Julien references arenā€™t in the issues log (afaik) and honestly they werenā€™t ones I felt I could contribute to in the very limited amount of spare time that I have - for those projects you need people who have ~full time to spare on them, not me who has ~1 hour to spend on them per week, max.

If /e/ isnā€™t interested in people contributing to the issues in the gitlab repo then I suggest that the /e/ management makes this very clear - I feel like I wasted time on this and I donā€™t feel like wasting more time on it.

I think we can stop discussing this now because at present I have no further time to spend on /e/. If, in future, I have time I will again ask which branch I should work on for a specific issue.