How do i get Google Authenticator to actually work in e?

Pretty much what is says.

How do I get Google Authenticator to actually work?

I need it for my work etc. I found the app in the E store and installed the bar scanner separately also. I then scanned the bar-code in the work system and confirms the code is good but on the phone it doesn’t catch it and is still waiting for the confirmation… So the account can’t be added in Google Authenticator.

Any ideas?

Thanks a bunch… :smirk:
Kind regards

It can’t work on eOS, because it needs a lot if google services which are all removed on a ungoogled OS.

Sorry, but the goal of eOS is to be googlefree.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply harvey186.

Yeah I know that’s the idea which I really like and a reason for installing E. Just cant get rid of Google completly because of work though.

I found a way a work-around though with https://apkpure.com/ and installed the latest official version/APK file that way and it works fine now. :+1:

Hello.

Could you describe a bit more, please? Works in work profile (with Shelter)?

May be a workaround for googled apps (bank, railroad and so on).

Not really certain about what you mean @trefix ?

Just download APKPure’s apk file to your computer and transfer it by USB cable to your Smartphone and then install that. After that just install pretty much any of the latest android apps including from Google Play Appstore.

Kind regards

Mmmh… did you registered a gg account on your e.phone? Or in microG settings (same)?

You can check in Settings > Accounts.

Oh yes, I did that too with microG and added my G account. I forgot about that. :smirk:
It works flawlessly.

You know, that noone really knows how is behind apkpure.com and if the apks are untouched. No one can be sure that the apks doesn’t have a virus, keylogger or something else in it.

I would ask me, why the apk from apkpure is working and from cleanapk.org (it*s the source of e-apps store) not.

When I need a none FOSS app, I would install it via Aurora. Than I will get the original apk from goolag play store

Well as far as I know can can see; the APKpure uses the google play store engine (emulated) to download the files directly from Google.

and if we want top go down that rabbit whole deeper who rips the apps from cleanapk.org?
https://www.reddit.com/r/fossdroid/comments/gdlu5l/how_secure_is_the_appstore_of_the_e_foundation/

It seems that E’s apps are pirated versions. (?) :astonished: How does one know that those are not modified in a malicious way?

-AND-

# /e/ – privacy-enabled Android ROM, or Evil Corp?

When I used the APKpure’s apps they worked way better than the ones from E Foundation’s store btw.

The E’s apps had some trouble working and I had to install addition software to get them to a sort of working state. Then I suddely came to think of APKpure and removed the installed apps from e store and used APKpure’s instead which worked straight out of the box and were the newest versions (I checked them/compared them with the official store).

According to that document E Foundation still uses some Google services in its core. It’s is degoogled as much as possible (?), but not 100 %. That might be impossible maybe for technical reason. I don’t know though or why…

The plot thickens? :thinking:

Sure, there will be allways goolag code in Android, because it’s owned / created by them. But the important thing is, that no unwanted connections will go to google server. That’s what ‘ungoogled’ is meaning.

1 Like

If you read the second document I posted it makes why more connections than you might think…

i get the whole concept of /e/ Foundation otherwise i would not have installed it on my phone.
Thanks for your attempt to kindly explain it though. :+1:

Anyways, less Google is better than full Google so I’m fine with it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Kind regards

I’m monitoring ALL outgoing connections with pi-hole, so I can say for sure, the OS makes no connections to goolag server.

4 Likes

Google Authenticator (version 5 or later) has a migration account functionality using QR code that Aegis OTP imported and it is working perfectly. I tried andOTP and OpenKeyChain without success.

It seems that Aegis is a good alternative to leave Google (at least for 2FA) :smiley:

1 Like

Why not using from F-Droid andOTP?
https://f-droid.org/en/packages/org.shadowice.flocke.andotp/
Use this since years and it works perfectly. The big advantage for me was: It is possible to create a copy with password and to store this copy at a save place.

Same thing for Aegis but with a better UI.

There are some system that require Google Authenticator. In my case at my work. There is no workaround around that. You just must have it to be able to to your work.

It is an old article, they wrote 2 others after this one and recognize the « work in progress » evolution of the project, some issues fixed, and some improvements

Hi @piero
Thanks, I see…
Thanks for sharing. :facepunch:

Well I had to revert back by the way to Samsung OS ROM again because the Bluetooth is really buggy:

Quite the shame because /e/ is very nice. :heart::+1: