How important are Android updates for security if one is using /e/?

I am not super knowledgeable in this area but I have seen articles online about the importance about having up to date phones and computers in order that they might be less vulnerable to certain issues which the updates have been made for. For example older versions of Android no longer receive security updates. But if you had an alternative os such as /e/ on an outdated phone would the phone be less vulnerable than a phone with android? I’m also just curious about Teracube 2e since it should have an update to Android 11 soon but it is behind schedule. Does having Teracube 2e with /e/ make the phone more secure? And can phones who no longer have Android updates continue to receive /e/ updates?

It is hard to answer that one. Most of my devices run Nougat, Oreo, and Pie (custom ROMs). No security updates with the exception of one unofficial. But as one person pointed out to me the kernel(s) may be/are still vulnerable.
Regardless I have never been a fan of having to update Android because of security patches. Or desktop OS for that matter. When I lose the freedom to do what I want in an OS because parts are being locked down for security reasons I become reluctant to upgrade.

An alternative OS without GApps vs OEM stock helps in general but like with a desktop, practicing safe computing goes a long way (be mindfull of the apps you run, the places you visit, the links you click on).

/e/ does support devices that no longer have LineageOS support. In some cases they backport patches.

The Teracube 2e 2022 version comes with Android 11 but so far no /e/OS. The 2021 version is getting Android 11. /e/OS for either is supoosedly in the works.

2 Likes