How to add system apps (priv-app) on Fairphone 3 (FP3)?

I have no problem with the phone being rooted, but I don’t want to install Magisk, which replaces boot.img. My question is how to do this.

If you root your phone, it will always replace your boot.img, because it makes changes on it

I guess we have different definitions of “rooted”. What you’re referring to is what I would call “system-less rooting”.

Magisk or Su is for rooting your device to run several root commands. That what you want to to is rooting a device because you want an app running commands with system access. Therefore it is needed to change something on boot.img.

The other rooting is to unlock bootloader. And that’s we are NOT talking about.

There are only these 2 ‘rootings’ on Android devices

Well, originally the term “rooting” refers to the ability to execute programs on Linux as the privileged user “root”. A priori, I don’t see how either a boot image nor unlocking a bootloader are related to this, except as preconditions without which the software might prevent root execution by the user.

In any case, it seems to me that you’re suggesting that what I’m asking for is not possible, making this a deficiency of /e/, which I have reported on the GitLab issue tracker.

1 Like

OK, I give up. Android is not Linux and rooting has on Android a different meaning. As I have written, root must be enabled in boot.img because there is a lot of security access defined. And it has absolute nothing to do with eOS it ANDROID general.

Of course Android is Linux, it runs on a Linux kernel. (It’s not GNU/Linux, which I never mentioned.) And of course it has something to do with /e/ OS, because /e/ doesn’t provide a secure mechanism (or any mechanism, really) for users to add additional app stores such as F-Droid, which is certainly possible on a technical level.

totally wrong !!! Try it on ANY other custom rom. You will get the same result.

But as I have written before, I’m now out of this topic. I can write what I want and explain how much I want, you will it see different.

EDIT: a kernel is not a OS. Because only the OS is using a Linux Kernel, it isn’t Linux. Otherwise you would be able to run Linux pograms on Android OS.

This is obviously a can of worms to open, because there is no absolute truth here, only interpretation and subjective definition. For the sake of argument …

https://www.fossmint.com/difference-between-android-and-linux/

“Android is not a GNU/Linux distro but its Kernel (its powerhouse) is Linux and since it is the convention that a collection of software put together around the Linux Kernel is referred to as Linux, Android is Linux.”

cool, so we all are holding Linux devices in our hands !!! Great. I will now install Thunderbird or any other deb or rpm or pacman package on my device !! yeah, that’s it

The article also says
“I hope this article has helped you understand the relationship between Android and Linux and why although Android is Linux, it is not a Linux distribution”

You obviously don’t agree to this differentiation, and that’s fine, but there are other opinions out there, and they are as valid as yours.

1 Like

did you ever try to install it over recover at boot up. In the article of that frdroid privilege thing it states to do that. I did not try it because I dont want to have any automated install thing except the ones I allow and I clean my partitions from time to time.

Hmm well i guess it’s pointless to even think about pushing more the discussion. Sorry @AnotherElk

@harvey186 It’s not nice for me to have to mention this, but this is on you, and it seems to be quite frequent. Power comes with responsability and humility is very much needed.

That ‘/e/ support’ tag dont give you the right to be agressive and lecture people the way you’re doing it way too often, while not being able to even make a valid point.

Thanks in advance.
@Manoj

1 Like

I don’t see any aggressive comment from me.
Please show me where I was aggressive.

EDIT: I have just read the complete thread once more from beginning on. And I really see no aggressive comment from me.

I think we should stop now with this kernel / Linux / Android discussion here. Because it’d out of topic of this post.

1 Like

@Manuel: Yes, all my installation attempts were with the OTA .zip through recovery mode.

I could’ve sworn I mentioned before somewhere to just use the NanoDroid-fdroid package (not to be confused with the full NanoDroid or its other packages). On my Essential PH-1 (an A/B system-as-root device) the installation just works. It flashes F-Droid in /system/app and the privileged extension to /system/priv-app (on the TWRP side that would be /system/system/app and /system/system/priv-app respectively). As well as necessary permission files.

The privileged extension does not require root as it uses system permissions to do its work. Similar to how Apps and Play Store do their thing.

I also remember examining the OTA zip. The script shows that it supports system-as-root and should do the right thing when flashed. Since I haven’t had a need to use that zip on the mata I can’t say if it does.

Regardless, TWRP is a necessity here

EDIT: Ah, just read the previous thread and see some things were already covered. Sorry.
So when you flashed NanoDroid-fdroid you said the F-Droid app wasn’t visible in the launcher or under System -> Apps & Notifications? Select ‘Show system’ to see the privileged extension, ofc.

For real though, either of the two installers should just work. If not then the issue is some kind of Fairphone peculiarity. Definitely not /e/ related for sure.

Correct. More than that, the files that should be installed in /system/priv-app/ and /system/app/ were entirely missing when booting normally (checked on the command line using Terminal app/adb shell), even though they’re there in recovery mode.

It indeed seems specific to the Fairphone 3, although I definitely wouldn’t say that it’s unrelated to /e/. As I explained, F-Droid and the Privileged Extension do show up if Magisk is installed (even if this is done afterwards), which replaces boot.img. So there’s something in the boot.img which /e/ ships for the Fairphone 3 that prevents these kinds of modifications.

1 Like

Ah, I see about the second point. Let’s hope that’s not the case.

In the Fairphone section there was another thread related to trying to get the F-Droid stuff working. Not sure if the user ever got it working.

This topic was automatically closed after 60 days. New replies are no longer allowed.