Install Tor-browser on /e/

To install Tor-browser in Android Orbot is needed, can be found here:
https://guardianproject.info/apps/orbot/
After that install Tor-browser:
https://www.torproject.org/download/download.html.en
Do not install Orfox from F-Droid, it is the old version of Tor for Android.

An issue you can experience due to some apps from F-Droid (and maybe from Play store too?) that cause Orbot to crash is loss of connection.

tor.stackexchange.com

Ardvark Twist

Android can’t connect after Orbot crash

orbot, transparent-proxy

asked by Ardvark Twist on 12:22AM - 10 Jul 14 UTC

It is not Android, not /e/, not the build of version 0.2 Oreo, and not version 0.5, but some apps in F-Droid can cause Orbot to crash and after that the WiFi is blocked!
The solution for this is to reboot in recovery > Wipe > Advanced Wipe, select Dalvik/ART Cache and Cache > Swipe to Wipe > Reboot System, and you are done, connection is restored.

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

2 Likes

Orbot and Tor-browser are both available from F-Droid. Are you saying that the versions in F-Droid are not the latest?

Orbot will ask to install Orfox, the version available in F-Droid, which is older as the official Tor-browser for Android that is based on Orfox

Oh I see. Well I installed Orbot & Tor-Browser without Orfox via F-Droid and all is working. I’d suggest people do the same as it’s more convenient than directly downloading the apk files and you get automatic updates. But as you say, Orfox need no longer be installed if Tor-Browser is being used.

1 Like

Wait, TOR is made by US military/CIA. Surely they can track it, don’t use TOR!

Signal servers are is the US it’s financed by United States too. But it doesn’t meen Tor can’t be used.

More details here : (the interesting part start at “Let’s start with Tor.”)
https://surveillancevalley.com/blog/government-backed-privacy-tools-are-not-going-to-protect-us-from-president-trump

1 Like
  1. But Tor is funded by the US government! This one is partially true. While most current funding of the Tor project comes from the US government, people first have to realize that again, the government uses Tor themselves, so it makes sense for them to fund its development. Secondly, the US government is enormous, and it makes perfect sense that one part of the government is trying to improve it, while the other part wants to break it. Furthermore it’s worth mentioning that the Tor project is actively trying to diversify their funding sources, with success. In 2015 85% of Tor’s funding came from the US government, it went down to 76% in 2016, and even 51% in 2017. Do you want to help out diversifying Tor’s funding even further? You can do so by heading to their webpage, by donating you will help their important work. It is also worth mentioning that all Tor code is completely FOSS, all discussions and meetings, all research, everything the Tor project does is transparent and available for anyone online to crawl through and investigate; meaning that if the Tor project were to do something sketchy, people can see it.
  1. But Tor was created by the US government, it must have a backdoor! Tor was not written by the government. Tor was written by Roger Dingledine, later on joined by Nick Matthewson, with the funding from the Naval research lab through Paul Syverson. The claim that that it must therefore contain a backdoor does not hold up for the following reasons: First of all, the US government uses Tor to hide its own activities online; if it had a backdoor, it would not be safe for them to use. One could argue that they could make their own anonymity systems, but this wouldn’t be effective. If the government would build their own system, and only let themselves use it, then ALL traffic is known to be automatically CIA/NSA/FBI traffic, making it pointless to use in the first place. One must not forget that you cannot be anonymous alone, you need similarly anonymous peers to form a crowd for you to blend into. The more people you throw into the mix, the harder any individual is to find.

https://write.privacytools.io/my-thoughts-on-security/slicing-onions-part-1-myth-busting-tor Both answers showed there, has been respond on the privacytools.io blog.

2 Likes

I was looking for info on the advantages/disadvantages of Signal and came accross this announcement in French “En difficulté, le projet Tor commence à licencier son équipe” = “in (economically) bad shape, the Tor project starts to lay off its team”.
I am wondering what that means to the Signal user community and in particular the data protection values of Tor/Signal.

There is no link between Tor and Signal.

Hey, I just revive this.
While trying to get Tor activated in the settings of my FP3 the download failes.
I do not understand what it says - added <guardianproject.info> in the package sources, but it doesn’t seem to work:

Any hints?