Installation of e/OS fails on Samsung S9 DualSim

Hello Everybody!
I discovered e/OS a few month and, as i had to change my mobile, i decided to try.
I just get a refurbished Samsung S9 (not from Murena Shop because out of stock) and decided to install e/OS by miself, as i choosed a phone supported via EasyInstaller app.

I executed the procedure but installation failed.
Obtained results differs from expected one at the step i need to reboot on eRecovery.
Instead the “e” screen, i had the text menu of Android Recovery.
i tried to continue anyway and ofr installation from ADB, easy installer confirms everything is OK when on phone log displayed, it is written:

Verifying update package (long…)
Failed to verify whole file signature
Update pakage verif took 86.2s (result 1)
E: signature verification failed
E: error: 21
Install from ADB completed with status 2
Installation aborted. #1>

The following verifications have been made and are OK

• Device compatibility
  • OEM unlock
  • enough space for adb
  • USB cable (looks fine because device is well recongized by windows and EasyInstaller)

It seems the recovery package is not properly pushed to the phone and then cannot be launched.
Does it impact the signature verification issue of the e/OS package for the “Install from adb” step?

conclusion: i am stuck here with no hypothesis to investigate nor ideas to solve this issue.
Someone could help please?

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

I suggest you look for the debug log Howto troubleshoot issues with the easy-installer and look for the point where Recovery is uploaded, and whether you get you get a definite success report at that point.

You might search for “waiting for recovery” in the log. Success or fail should be recorded fairly near to this section of the log.

Another common cause of this situation is described here Know your hardware - Samsung #Your first boot into TWRP

Feel free to share the debug log here if you like.

Good luck

If you see no change in the progression barre, or see in terminal that the transfert fails, try others cables

NOW COMES THE CRUTIAL STEP !..

• To get out of the Download mode you must Force Power Off your Samsung device,
    unplug the device,
    hold Volume Down + Power.
    release when you see the screen turn off…

…HERE IS THE CRUTIAL STEP !..

• immediately Boot to Recovery before any other boot mode attempt,
    hold Volume up + Home + Power.
    release when you see the very little blue line in the top of the screen…

…IT WAS THE CRUTIAL STEP !..

source : [HOWTO] an Unified Install Guide Project for /e/

Hello,
Thanks for your answer.
I tried to find something in the log as recommended. here is the log content starting from “Waiting for recovery” line:
waiting for recovery"
2022-08-27 01:05:48,389 DEBUG [Thread-11] e.e.i.t.CommandExecutionTask [null:-1]
(debug)“D:\Temp_for_softs\eOS-easy-installer\bin\adb\adb” -s 2cc4b4208b0b7ece wait-for-sideload
2022-08-27 01:09:52,625 DEBUG [JavaFX Application Thread] e.e.i.c.s.CustomExecutableController [null:-1] onContinueClicked
2022-08-27 01:09:53,048 DEBUG [JavaFX Application Thread] e.e.i.c.s.CustomExecutableController [null:-1] onContinueClicked
2022-08-27 01:09:53,234 DEBUG [JavaFX Application Thread] e.e.i.c.s.CustomExecutableController [null:-1] onContinueClicked
2022-08-27 01:09:53,406 DEBUG [JavaFX Application Thread] e.e.i.c.s.CustomExecutableController [null:-1] onContinueClicked
2022-08-27 01:09:53,407 WARN [JavaFX Application Thread] e.e.i.u.UiUtils [null:-1] loadImage(), image’s file name = install_instr_e_recovery_factory_reset_format_data_validate.png, error = java.lang.NullPointerException: Input stream must not be null
2022-08-27 01:09:54,420 DEBUG [JavaFX Application Thread] e.e.i.c.s.CustomExecutableController [null:-1] onContinueClicked
2022-08-27 01:09:54,623 DEBUG [JavaFX Application Thread] e.e.i.c.s.CustomExecutableController [null:-1] onContinueClicked
2022-08-27 01:09:54,818 DEBUG [JavaFX Application Thread] e.e.i.c.s.CustomExecutableController [null:-1] onContinueClicked
2022-08-27 01:09:54,826 DEBUG [JavaFX Application Thread] e.e.i.c.s.CustomExecutableController [null:-1] last instruction reached instruction
2022-08-27 01:09:59,056 DEBUG [Thread-11] e.e.i.t.CommandExecutionTask [null:-1]
(debug)“device found in recovery”
2022-08-27 01:09:59,057 DEBUG [Thread-11] e.e.i.t.CommandExecutionTask [null:-1] Exit value = 0

2022-08-27 01:09:59,058 INFO [JavaFX Application Thread] e.e.i.c.MainWindowController [null:-1] loadSubScene(uiRoot)
2022-08-27 01:09:59,058 DEBUG [JavaFX Application Thread] e.e.i.c.MainWindowController [null:-1] change view()
2022-08-27 01:09:59,059 INFO [JavaFX Application Thread] e.e.i.c.MainWindowController [null:-1] ResetNextButtonEventHandler()
2022-08-27 01:09:59,406 DEBUG [Thread-12] e.e.i.t.CommandExecutionTask [null:-1] updateParameters(), Parameters = {device_id=2cc4b4208b0b7ece, archive_path=C:\Users\Uriel\AppData\Local\easy-installer\sources\starlte\e-latest-q-starlte.zip, adb_folder_path=D:\Temp_for_softs\eOS-easy-installer\bin\adb}
2022-08-27 01:09:59,407 DEBUG [Thread-12] e.e.i.t.CommandExecutionTask [null:-1] getFullCmd(), full command = [cmd.exe, /c, ““D:\Temp_for_softs\eOS-easy-installer\bin\scripts\install-from-e-recovery.bat” “2cc4b4208b0b7ece” “C:\Users\xx\AppData\Local\easy-installer\sources\starlte\e-latest-q-starlte.zip” “D:\Temp_for_softs\eOS-easy-installer\bin\adb””]
2022-08-27 01:10:00,903 DEBUG [Thread-12] e.e.i.t.CommandExecutionTask [null:-1]
(debug)
2022-08-27 01:10:02,154 DEBUG [Thread-12] e.e.i.t.CommandExecutionTask [null:-1]
(debug)serving: ‘C:\Users\xx\AppData\Local\easy-installer\sources\starlte\e-latest-q-starlte.zip’ (~0%)
2022-08-27 01:10:03,426 DEBUG [Thread-12] e.e.i.t.CommandExecutionTask [null:-1]
(debug)serving: ‘C:\Users\xx\AppData\Local\easy-installer\sources\starlte\e-latest-q-starlte.zip’ (~1%)
2022-08-27 01:10:04,653 DEBUG
------------- I skipped all progress lines until the few last one. next lines below are the end of log file. 2022-08-27 01:11:21,767 DEBUG [Thread-12] e.e.i.t.CommandExecutionTask [null:-1]
(debug)serving: ‘C:\Users\Uriel\AppData\Local\easy-installer\sources\starlte\e-latest-q-starlte.zip’ (~47%) adb: failed to read command: No error
2022-08-27 01:11:21,772 DEBUG [Thread-12] e.e.i.t.CommandExecutionTask [null:-1]
(debug)“Sideload OK”
2022-08-27 01:11:21,775 DEBUG [Thread-12] e.e.i.t.CommandExecutionTask [null:-1] Exit value = 0

2022-08-27 01:11:21,788 INFO [JavaFX Application Thread] e.e.i.c.MainWindowController [null:-1] loadSubScene(uiRoot)
2022-08-27 01:11:21,789 DEBUG [JavaFX Application Thread] e.e.i.c.MainWindowController [null:-1] change view()
2022-08-27 01:11:21,790 INFO [JavaFX Application Thread] e.e.i.c.MainWindowController [null:-1] ResetNextButtonEventHandler()
2022-08-27 01:11:31,750 INFO [JavaFX Application Thread] e.e.i.EasyInstaller [null:-1] stage is closing
2022-08-27 01:11:31,751 DEBUG [JavaFX Application Thread] e.e.i.c.MainWindowController [null:-1] onStop()
----------------- fin de l’extrait du log.

Cela vous évoque-t-il quelque chose?

What do you see when you boot into recovery now?

Your partial log shows
(debug)“device found in recovery”
(~47%) adb: failed to read command: No error
(debug)“Sideload OK”

Did you see TWRP TeamWin recovery during the process? Did you use it?

The success or fail report on Recovery will be above the point you started the log – however the content you show suggests a recovery is present.

1 Like

About the 2nd link proposed, i already saw that one and retried several times paying close attention to the “finger” process.

I am not sure to know why but the problem is solved…
I document what i can below, just in case it could be useful for Someone else:
---------------- Season 1: Episodes… many! -----------
For the first trials, i used the USB cable provided with the device (not sure it was an Official Samsung cable because i bough a refurbished phone).
When the phone was connected to PC with this cable (let’s name it “the white cable” because… it is white), the device was well reconnized by PC, File transfert via Windows where OK.
White USB cable is USB-C on phone side and “regular” USB on PC side.
Important fact: on the download screen, i had FAP lock=OFF; OEM lock= OFF; but KG State=Prenormal !
When trying the alternative deployment process described here howto-install-e-on-a-samsung-smartphone-with-windows-easily, i had a well known error message on the download screen: “Only official releases…”.
Odin 3.13 was displaying this:

ID:0/004 Added!!
ID:0/004 Odin engine v(ID:3.1303)…
ID:0/004 File analysis…
ID:0/004 Total Binary size: 40 M
ID:0/004 SetupConnection…
ID:0/004 Initialzation…
ID:0/004 Get PIT for mapping…
ID:0/004 Firmware update start…
ID:0/004 NAND Write Start!!
ID:0/004 SingleDownload.
ID:0/004 recovery.img
ID:0/004 RQT_CLOSE !!
ID:0/004
ID:0/004 Complete(Write) operation failed.
OSM All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

After many (many) reading and trials, i stopped.

-------------- Season 2: 1 episode ---------------
Since my first trials (failed), i let the phone go back on a restaured Android and used it few times, in Wifi mode only (No SIM inserted).
and i decided to retry tonigh…
I first check the download screen (without any cable connected): oh! Surprise! The phone was not anymore on “prenormal” mode!! I have no clue why!
Then, i rebooted to come back on the normal android.
Then: connected another cable (let’s name it the “Black Cable” because… guess what!? yes! this one is black).
This black cable is USB-C on BOTH sides and then connected in USB-C on PC side also (<=> not the same port as white cable).
I restarted the easy installer and followed once again the procedure… and it worked!!

Conclusion:
Difficult to say if the root cause was the cable or the “prenormal” status (i saw many articles about recovery upload bloked on a “prenormal” phone).
Or, has the cable an impact on the “prenormal” status?
If no, how and why the KG State has changed from “prenormal” to “checking”?
Just for the “fun” (more a scientific/investigation concern), i’ll try tomorrow to check the Download screen with the white cable connected…
Thanks to the community to intemp to help me.
If anyone is able to guess the real root cause, i’m curious to learn it.
I know this “documentation” does not bring a solution for next people but i hope that, at least, it can help determining the problems.
Wish you all the best.
Good night!

Thanks for your help.
For information, when correctly working tonigh, i did not see any progress bar on the phone.
In my case, the right cable did not triggered this display.

Prenormal state was certainly the cause

Welcome with /e/ !

Good work. To others encountering Samsung Prenormal to is always worth getting the device online for a period, remembering that Prenormal is a function of remote monitoring by Samsung.

If it it applicable to have Prenormal lifted without some intervention the device requires to be online, perhaps for some days.

Yes, i read this information that to quit Prenormal mode, a device shall be with a SIM for at least 168hours.
The strange thing here is: I never inserted my SIM in the device + the device has been connected to Wifi for max 3d (<=>36h).
So, i don’t really know what took me out of the prenormal mode…