Is the update for OS 0.15 or 0.16 supposed to work OTA?

Hi,
On the phone I downloaded the 0.15 update, and tried to install it on the phone. It went through some screens, rebooted, did a bit more work, then gave the “install failed” message.

I tried skipping the 0.15 and going right to 0.16 (thinking maybe the problem was fixed) but it gave the same error.

Has anyone had success with OTA on the 5T? It worked fine on my 5. Just seeing if there is something wonky on my 5T.
Thanks

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

I think I figured it out. It appears as though I didn’t have TWRP installed on the 5T. I assumed it was installed as obviously I have /e/ OS installed, but I think it is possible to run TWRP without installing it on the phone. When the 5T would reboot during the /e/ upgrade process, it would go to the OnePlus recovery screen, then the install would fail. To get TWRP to stick: do the “fastboot flash recovery twrp.img” then type “fastboot reboot”. As soon as you send the reboot command, hold the pwr and vol down buttons on the phone. This forced the phone to stop replacing TWRP with its stock recovery.

After properly installing TWRP, the OTA upgrade process went smooth. I did 0.15 then 0.16 sequentially just in case something could go wrong with skipping 0.15. The phone downloaded the update, I pressed “install”, and the phone rebooted into TWRP during the process. All good from there!

As you may notice, I’m pretty green with all this. I’m doing what I can to contribute as I don’t have any technical experience or training. Perhaps this post will help one or two people if they made the same mistake I did.

2 Likes