Just UnGoogle'd enough?

/e/'s punchline is “My data is MY data” which focuses on becoming ungoolag’d, but I think it’s beyond just google now. What about Amazon, Facebook, Microsoft & Twitter to an extent… They all have their hand in the user private data cookie jar… /e/'s efforts thus far are great but should /e/ go beyond just ‘ungoogling’? and be ‘unBigTech’? Please share your thoughts…

2 Likes

i agree; i think /e/ agrees too:) i feel there is a focus on privacy overall with /e/ . The term UnGoogled is often used i think because the basis of /e/ is an alternative Android, and for years, Google has developed the only mainstream Android around

I don’t get your point. Is it about the slogan, the vision that /e/ has, the marketing of /e/ ?

Neither, its about who else is after our private data. While breaking free from google is the main focus here, we should also consider the other adversaries

It don’t have the impression that /e/ is particularly “focused” on Google. That’s why I’m asking what makes you think so. If it’s something in the slogan, the strategy, the marketing message?

This page at least shows a big Google logo as the destination of all the data that is harvested:

And that page is behind the “learn more” button following the “Time to escape from Mobile Surveillance!” call to action featured almost at the top of the /e/ homepage.

Edit: and the /e/ logo looks like an inverted g, so it might be interpreted as the anti-thesis to Google, just like the inverted cross vs. christian cross :wink:

Google is deeply ingrained inside Android. So, removing ties with Google is a big challenge where the efforts of /e/ are very valuable. To cut ties with Twitter, Facebook and Microsoft, you’ll go a long way by simply NOT installing their apps. There might be other actions worth doing, but I’m pretty sure they are “details” compared to getting the ingrained Google out of Android.

3 Likes

it’s a really complicated matter, because even open source solutions like Matomo are often used by really questionable players in this filed, because this decentralized resp. self hosted solutions with the smell of free software are often less filtered by adblockers etc. than the well know big enemies… it’s already a little bit like in spy vs. spy.

I think there is more to that. At least Facebook has a software development kit (SDK) that is used by other app developers, too. And IIRC by default any app built with this SDK sends pretty detailed data to Facebook. See for example this talk at the 2018 chaos communication congress: https://media.ccc.de/v/35c3-9941-how_facebook_tracks_you_on_android

Right. Interesting topic. I see what @b3pio means now. It’s not so much about the punshline or the website content. It’s more about what /e/ could do to fight these Software Development Kits that big tech player use in the apps. I have no clue personnaly.

2 Likes

Maybe this addresses the problem. What do you think?

• Progressive Web Apps: no SDKs involved, I guess
  • The /e/ store: by making the user aware of what privacy he is giving away (because of facebook trackers for example) when he chooses to download the app
1 Like

I don’t have an Amazon app on my phone, nor a prime account, so how is Jeff getting my data?

Very interesting talk. I assumed I had some understanding of the data collection practices, but after having seen this talk, I can only say I didn’t known it was that widespread and deeply rooted.

Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

I suppose it’s not only about google as you can see in the app store for every app whether they have trackers and there is also a privacy rating.

There are many apps with trackers BUT: There are also many apps without trackers so it’s easy to find an alternative. Exodus Privacy and Classy Shark are good apps to check the phone for trackers.

ClassyShark is a must have app!

So many apps have amazon (AWS) trackers, websites/servers etc hosted by amazon, they dont just make money from sales on amazon…

3 Likes

I think we mostly all agree, just with different takes on the priority/planning.
Getting back to the question, I’d rather have /e/ focus on Google first and finalize a non-beta V1.0 of /e/.
Moreover, the feedback about privacy/trackers etc from the /e/ store (before one chooses/installs app), is also a welcome feature.
After V1.0, I would of course welcome other features for more privacy.

2 Likes

None of the apps I use on /e/ have trackers. Guess I’m OK.

Good for you if that’s the case, although it’s a bold statement to make.

As for Google, here’s an insightful study: https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/documents/public_comments/2018/08/ftc-2018-0074-d-0018-155525.pdf

1 Like

My suggestion: MinusBad5
My bad 5: Google, amazon, apple, Microsoft, Facebook

Marcus

2 Likes