Lawnchair and Librechair launchers on /e/

Hello everyone !

I use the Lawnchair launcher since I’m on /e/ OS. But I recently heard than, even if this launcher is available on F-Droid, some parts of the code aren’t open source and may track us. Is that true ?

By searching, I found a FOSS alternative : Librechair. But when I try to install the apk file, this message shows up : “There was a problem while parsing the package”.

Is it possible to install Librechair on /e/ os ? If not, what do you think about Lawnchair, is it “safe” to use ? Or do you know a launcher with a similar design and similar functions ?

Thanks

Hello.

Tu peux charger ClassyShark3xodus depuis F-Droid pour regarder les trackers de ces app., déjà installées ou nouvelles…

You can download ClassyShark3xodus from F-Droid to check trackers in these apps, already in use and new ones…

Salut,

Alors j’ai exodus sur mon smartphone et ça m’a l’air OK pour un launcher, sauf pour l’accès à la localisation (mais je ne l’active presque jamais) : https://reports.exodus-privacy.eu.org/fr/reports/85749/
Qu’en pensez-vous ? D’autres utilisent ce launcher ? Sinon quel launcher utilisez-vous ?

The permissions on exodus seems OK to me for a launcher, except for the localization (but I rarely enable it) : https://reports.exodus-privacy.eu.org/en/reports/85749/
What do you think about this launcher ? Do you use it ? If not, why and witch launcher do you use ?

On F-Droid, it’s written : “Most likely, the F-Droid build has been patched in some way to remove the Non-Free code/libraries” (link), so is it safe to use ?

Lawnchair v1.x (via F-Droid) is considered old but I still use it on a couple of ROMs.
Lawnchair v2.x (via Play Store & Aurora Store) is fine. If it has any undesirable trackers you can deal with them. I don’t remember if it has any, though.

I’m running Librechair on my Pi/e/. It’s okay. Technically I’ve never been a fan of Nexus/Pixel based launchers but anyway…
The parsing error may be because the apk is corrupt or is for a certain version of Android, Q probably. Kind of confusing now to get the right download. I’m using 3eac801b17-dev version.

Ok, thanks. I don’t think that the apk is corrupted, because I tried two different versions and had this message with both of them.

Where can you download the different versions of Librechair ? I didn’t find the apk files on gitlab. On the Telegram releases channel, all files have the same name and the two latest didn’t work for me (/e/ Oreo on a Samsung S9). Do you know how to download the correct version ?

If I remember correctly, Librechair may be for Pie and up. All of my ROMs except one are Oreo and below. I too received the parse errors back when I first wanted to give it a try.
I thought how can it be an alternative to Lawnchair if it doesn’t run on Nougat or Oreo.

I’ll test the couple of apks that I have on Oreo to confirm if that’s the case.

Ok, thank you very much ! :smiley:

Are there other people that uses Lawnchair on /e/ ?

https://community.e.foundation/search?q=lawnchair

You can utilize OpenLancher which is from F droid and FOSS. someone told me it is equivalent to LibreChair.