Leaks to google or not

after flash rom and start ! see in microG settings two parameters

Google Cloud messaging enable by default
Google SaftyNet enable to
I don’t really know what is these services and why they still in microG.
In more you can allow connect to G. server but not enable like used Tor to connect G.

Regards

1 Like

Yes, I disabled all three of them. I guess it is there to enable people to use their Google account(s),but I don’t really know. Found this about it: https://microg.org/ I’m comfortable with that, but as I never use Google services and kept it disabled anyway.

2 Likes

Hi! Indeed, these services are enabled by default because /e/ is supposed to support app that needs Google services to smoothly guide people to Google-free apps. /e/ is also supposed to be accessible to non-IT people, that’s why it’s enabled by default. Maybe the design will be different later like being disable by default but switched on only if a Google-dependent APP is installed. Mozilla, Canonical, Intel, and even Microsoft have tried and failed to create a viable competitor to Android and iOS. This is why /e/ is different by being an hybrid project for a smoother transition. :grinning:

5 Likes

I really appreciate the inclusion of microG, that gives users the option of having features like Play Services and GCM or turning them off completely. You do not need a Google account to use microG. I have device registration and Google Cloud Messaging enabled to allow apps like email clients, podcast player, and messengers like Threema and Wire to be able to push notifications to the device. You get almost all the features of an Android phone without all the data being sent to Google.

3 Likes

great to understand more
thanks

1 Like

I added a comment to the issue, this could be an option during the initial setup to turn on/off.

2 Likes

So is it possible to use the Threema application in /e/?

Yes Threema works just fine. I did have to go into the settings and under Troubleshooting reset the push token. I believe I had to do that with LineageOS for migroG as well.

2 Likes

Hello,
I fully understand that microG is installed by default to help the transition for most people.
However could you clarify : does this choice implies background communications with Google even if we don’t install apps requesting these functionalities ?

If so, this is mandatory to either display a warning during the initial setup or set an automatic activation only when apps are requesting these functionality, as suggested by @Tycho.

i think this is such a great approach, well done!

1 Like

The goal is: not leak anything to Google if you don’t install Apps that requires Google services/libraries.

Ok, but what is the current status with the default parameter after installation ?

A lot of work as been already done in the degooglelization process, and it is understandable that some spots currently remains (the footprint is so wide…), but it is important to make people aware of what are the current (known) remaining risks, it is a matter of trust for your project.

On the App installer you can check the Rating for each app and get a look at the trackers that come as part of that installation. Off course the Apps Installer or AppStore as it also called is still under development but that is a way users can come to know about the apps on their /e/ ROM.

i really agree with this!!

I just went and disabled all my microG settings. I don’t think I need them.

hello, I’m not a pro but with a good firewall and the proper urlS to block, would it be easier to be free from Gshits ?