Linux computer not recognising phone

Sorry if this has previously been answered…i have searched some of the similar answers but not found what i was looking for.

I installed /e/ on my Samsung Galaxy S5. I want to transfer files via USB or via Bluetooth. Neither are recognised on my Linux Mint machine, although the computer charges the phone, so knows its plugged in.

When I go to USB Preferences, it won’t allow me to select any of the four options (file transfer, USB tethering, PTP, No data transfer).

I never had this problem with Lineage…I just plugged it in to my laptop and Lineage asked me what I wanted to do!

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

Did you try another cable?

i can’t reproduce this behavior on my (debian testing) linux machine (utilizing the cinnamon desktop envrionment) and a connected xiaomi MI 8 mobile phone. it always worked. in /e/ 0.12-p just as in the new 0.13-p release.

i can’t switch the master/slave options at the top, but file transfer, tethering, PTP etc. are selectable and work.

If you open a terminal and type dmesg do you see the phone being recognised after plugging/unplugging the usb?

I had a thread some months ago which took also these problems into focus, look here and scroll down a bit.

Linux access is still a problem. That’s why I use an FTP server on my phone, the Linux machine has a filezilla running which is the FTP client. This does always work in both directions.

i would say, it works quite well!

if you want to connect e.g. a consumer camera, you will very likely stubble over more mysteries and configuration obstacles. :wink:

it’s just important, that all necessary system and desktop components are indeed available resp. working on your machine (e.g. mtp-probe from libmtp-runtime and gvfs-backends etc.).

for more comfortable local file synchronization (i.e. without utilizing cloud services) Syncthing resp. Syncthing-fork looks rather handy.