[LIST] Devices we plan to upgrade to /e/OS S

What is the end point of GS290 in terms of upgrade?
Cheers
T.

1 Like

For any device, one point would be when the vendor stops firmware upgrades. Next would be the end of Google security upgrades for the device’s particular OS. We try to stretch support as long as possible because not all of us throw away a phone just because it is old.

10 Likes

Unfortunately, this point has already been reached with the Gigaset GS290… Update support end was August 2022. :dizzy_face: This already results in the first negative consequences, see here:

Another issue is Android 10:

Actually, the end of support should be reached shortly. Usually, security updates are only provided for 3 years after the Android version is launched.

How long can the Gigaset GS290 still be supported under these conditions?

Greetings
Frank

Thanks. So how long can Murena One be expected to stay surfaced?
Any chance of seeing the latest from Murena running Android 12?

T.

We will support the Murena One for 5 years with software updates and security patches as mentioned in the FAQ on the website. Also /e/OS A12 when we are ready to release it.

1 Like

The testing of the /e/OS ‘S’ builds has started from today. If no major issues are reported, we expect to release the builds for all users in 2 weeks.
Exact release details will be shared as part of the weekly updates.

7 Likes

Although the FP4 has not yet been able to enter the list I can anyway confirm that there’s now a working FP4 /e/OS S test version.

This list has been updated. There could be more additions in the days to come. In case the build for a particular device fails, we will move it to the subsequent release sessions. For now, the release of /e/OS ‘S’ is planned along with v1.5. ETA for release would be in 1-2 weeks.

5 Likes

What a great news :pray::pray: thanks a lot.

2 Likes

Yes, I agree. Just be aware that I’d to sideload it via adb (as announced in the first post of this topic). Don’t know the exact plans for OTA upgrades R to S.

1 Like

Very happy to see that Fairphone 4 has just been added to the list! :wink:

Will the upgrade be available in OTA mode for this device? (I think Fairphone OS can / will be upgraded directly with the OTA as well)

Indeed, if we unlock - relock the bootloader again, all data will be lost.

Anyway thanks so much for the great work done with /e/ OS! :pray:

1 Like

As @ff2u remembered, in the first post is write:

But is also written:

[Edit] and FP4 is one of these.

So, for now, there is no OTA upgrade… Maybe there will. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

I see the Pixel 2XL Taimen listed here. Google only supported up to Android 11. Would we be able to flash from stock Android 11 to this?

1 Like

Yes ! @johnny71,

As example :
My Galaxy S4 originaly shipped with Android 4.2.2(J) in 2013
abandonned by Samsung with Stock Android 5.0 (L) in 2016,
now can run official e-1.5-r based on Android 11 (R) in 2022

8 Likes

Maybe a littlebit slow and camera

Maybe what you are driving at is “is it ok to install R or even perhaps S on this device?”

Reference https://doc.e.foundation/devices/taimen/install

We seem to have lost a “prerequisite” section from our templates, perhaps because this “old” version was clumsy, and not sufficiently device specific.

Caution: Do not install /e/OS on top of a higher version of stock OS. Before installing /e/OS ensure your device has the latest stock OS of the same version as /e/OS. If only lower versions of the stock are available then install the last available lower version before installing /e/OS.

If you know for certain that your device is fully up to date with the manufacturer’s upgrades (even if as you tell us that is Android 11) you will be good to go for R as it will qualify as

then install the last available lower version before installing /e/OS.

Later you can make a manual upgrade to S (with a need to format data again) when that comes along … or wait for S … but why wait?

Did testing fail for the OnePlus 7T? The OnePlus 6,8,and 9 are listed. Considering the 7T has reached Stable status and can use Easy Installer I would think it would have support for /e/ OS S.

Thanks for the hard work. What about Asus Zenphone Max Pro M2 (X01BD) ?

Hi, are you thinking of adding emerald to this list? Teracube is working on this version, alpha [Alpha] Android 12 for Teracube 2e - Teracube 2e - Teracube Community

2 Likes

@Manoj I find myself here, wondering the same thing. What is the plan for updating Teracube 2e emerald phones to Android 12 or Android 13.
I originally thought the hold up was related to Teracube, but found out recently, that if I want to go back to stock Android 13 that is nearly ready.
Really I like /e/ though and I don’t want to switch to stock Android again. But I do want to know when I can expect to be able to do that and I’m also wondering how that installation will be done.

Any information you can give me will be appreciated.