Maximum length for texts (SMS)

Hello,

I use the standard SMS app “Message” (well, a version that might be a little outdated, 3.6.4), and I was wondering what is the maximum length of a SMS.

I am wondering it, as I tried to send a very long SMS (data connection was off, so possibility that a MMS could be sent), and I repeatedly received a message warning that a large number of SMS were about to be sent. Although I accepted, the message I could see in the app is “Sending…” and, as it is still there, I understand that the message is too long to be sent.
What is the limit? Does it depend on the OS or the carrier?

Thank you in advance

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

To set the number of SMS (a big message will count as multiple SMS) that can be sent without the need to confirm, go into Settings > Security > Trust. That’s where you will find this security feature.

2 Likes

Great! Thanks a lot! I will try it!

… and it worked!
At least the long SMS is no longer showing “Sending” as for the previous trials, and in the message details there is clearly the “Sent:” date and time… but I have not received any reply yet (perhaps the SMS was to long to read :smiley:

Thank you very much @Anonyme

2 Likes

Theoretically 160 characters, but if you exceed it it will usually be split in multiple messages.