May I be able to install /e/ by myself?

Hi everyone!

I just finally got a Fairphone 3 after months of reflection, but I’d really be pleased if I could install /e/ on it.

The problem is that I’m not 100% sure I’ll be able to do it correctly. I’ve checked quickly what needs to be done and I feel like it wouldn’t be impossible for me, but I’m kind of scared of what could happen to this brand new phone.

I’ve seen that some of your awesome devs (or volunteer ones — awesome too) are working on the beta-FP3 version of the easy installer. Do you think it would be worth it to wait until it’s available or not? Otherwise do you think I may be able to go through this operation by strictly applying the steps ? (I used to do some programming but it’s been a long time since I haven’t done anything.)
Or should I just try to begin and then come here in case I have an issue?

Thank you for your advices and have a great day :slight_smile:

(if it is easier for some to talk, I’m French)

My gut feeling is: the easy installer itself is rather new, FP3 support will be super fresh, so I’d prepare for a situation where you might need to fall back to the manual installation method if some unexpected circumstances arise. But I’m sure you’ll find someone here who will assist you if the installer doesn’t work out of the box.

In any case you will have to make yourself familiar with how to unlock the FP3 https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360041655711
The first two steps need to be done on the phone (instructions in the installer for the first preparational steps are not Fairphone specific at this stage, once the phone is detected by the installer the instructions are specific).

1 Like

I do not know if I will help you or confusing you further.
Look for some good old quite inexpensive phone on the list and make some practice on flashing.
It helped me a lot.

2 Likes

This is indeed a good idea to familiarize yourself with the underlying tools like adb, fastboot and TWRP. And working on the command line in general.
But then, the flash process for the FP3 is somewhat different, i.e. it’s not possible to blindly copy the steps done with another phone model.

3 Likes

So I was getting into it a few hours ago, only to really see what needed to be done. Then I just tried to do the first steps, to see how hard it would seem to me. And I finally succeed the entire process with no issue shown yet!

The only “problem” I went through is the one mentioned here and I’m glad it was such an easy part to solve it :smiley:

Since it’s done, I have been using the phone with /e/ on it and I really like the interface. I’ve not noticed any trouble yet and the OS is well working, as if it was the native one.

Thank you very much @Ingo_FP_Angel and @nottolino for your help and advices and thanks to the whole /e/ team for their incredible work :clap:

4 Likes