Murena one: where is it build?

My guess its not Coolpad S but some custom version of it for Murena

This recent hands-on report states that even from the Murena One device settings you can only tell that it is a ‘Model X2’. So I’d also assume that it’s a custom one. But I also cant understand why the secrecy?

Just noticed, in this weekly /e/ developement update from April 2022 they stated that the vendor has stopped its production. I cant seem to find it listed in the official Gigaset shop listed anymore, so seems legit. I’m not sure if we should shed a tear on having no more Murena Gigasets, though. Seems Gigaset lost it’s credibility not only as of green washing but also cause of how they maintain their security and customer relations (see news reports from mid 2021). There are certainly better choices: Fairphone, Teracube, Shiftphone, PinePhone, rephone.

Speaking of PinePhone, IMHO objectives for a future phone should be:

• Open Hardware,
  • bootloader unlocked,
  • sustainable,
  • repairable,
  • ethically produced,
  • degoogled,
  • based on Open Source software

Yes, currently we cant have all of that at once, but why not define it as the ultimate objective and let’s have a go instead going backwards like with Murena One?

And yes, I know, not everybody would and could pay for that, then why not do a crowdfunding first and you’ll see there a plenty of people who want to invest in a device with the specifics mentioned above and maybe to that degree that we can lower the price for everyone?

3 Likes

ok. its rather old they have released recently GS5. GS4 was already released inbetween. So this is no reason to stop a general cooperation.

Thats why I originally thought Gigaset is such a compromise - its not good as FP but the profit margin and the features are enough to produce/sell a good budget phone without beeing on the very bad side of sweatshops.

even if slightly OT. I havent’t tracked the Gigset news could provide an article about the mentioned issues pls?

Btw

The pictures of the phone in this article show a different style. Its not like the Coolpad S anymore - look at the cameras and how they are placed and embedded.

Thanks for this info

https://www.go2android.de/gigaset-gs5-made-in-germany-mit-bedenken
https://www.computerbase.de/2021-04/malware-angriff-gigaset-smartphones-mit-schadsoftware-infiziert/

Dears,

not sure if this was discussed before, but in my view this phone is 100% the same as the Brax 2 phone, now also available at AMAZON US

Both are privacy phones with a “no google/apple” idea.

It is interesting that ultimately this is now a phone used by two privacy focused alternatives to Google Android. Is there a connection or partnership between E/OS and BraxOS?

Any opinion on this?

Best regards,

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this to us.

1 Like

Unless the store photos and specs are false, the phone is Coolpad Cool S. There’s no denying it.

I agree.

I find it interesting though that two privacy oriented OS’s have chosen this phone as their dedicated phone for their system.

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.