Music streaming : are they all tracking us?

Sorry for my ignorance, but what’s this?

GPL == GNU General Public License
This means Free Software (as in freedom, maybe but not necessarily as in beer.)
See https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.html

Thank you for the explanation! That makes sense. I definitely don’t mind paying a little, if it’s a GPL app. Are either of the apps free, as in free beer? If so, which ones?

They are both free as in beer and are available from F-Droid.

1 Like

Earlier, I suggested the idea to use web-players to access popular streaming services without their apps installed. Now I have tested this concept with WebApps and using Deezer as a benchmark, and I can say that it works.

To achieve this result, I inserted custom desktop user-agent string and allowed access to goo9Ie domain during login to pass the captcha, but then I was able to successfully disable all third-party web resources.

However, I cannot propose this method for everyday use because of the very inconvenient desktop-aimed UI rendering. But this is a good proof-of-concept, which can be expanded to the proper open-source client-app.

1 Like

Yesterday, I found an app with the right design, and although it doesn’t work properly, it’s still a step towards our goal.

It’s called Blade, and it is available at the IzzyOnDroid F-Droid repo. It supports Spotify and Deezer, and although I couldn’t get it to play music, it could still connect to my Spotify collection successfully.

Maybe Blade just needs a little help with development and promotion?

2 Likes

And another theoretical option is a player app with extensions support.

For example, KODI has several plugins for different streaming services. Unfortunately, this software is more targeted at mediaservers and TV boxes. Is there anything else like that?

Anyone tried MusicPiped on f-droid?

The new open-sourced client app for Bandcamp — bandcampDirect

And seems like NewPipe supprts SoundCloud playback. (Didn’t check it myself.)

1 Like

MusicPiped works but it’s a bit buggy.

Just tested NewPipe’s SoundCloud integration (beta-feature) — it plays! The GUI and mechanics are terrible for the moment, but it works at least.

Shame on me: I am an Apple Music subscriber

Does Apple Music work on /e/?
Thanks for feedback

1 Like

Not so much shame, if the app isolated properly.

Newpipe is pretty amazing, I’ve been using it for a while now. But for videos,not for music library.

Like you I was using Newpipe from years but during the last weeks it was not working. I am trying to install latest version but no way I have a message that the authorisation are missing??? Same message with all versions

it is working fine for me, using version 0.18.3 on a test version of Pie

Working fine as well for me now. 0.18.4!
Thanks

Rik
/e/ user

February 28

it is working fine for me, using version 0.18.3 on a test version of Pie

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

mrhoed
/e/ user

February 27

Like you I was using Newpipe from years but during the last weeks it was not working. I am trying to install latest version but no way I have a message that the authorisation are missing??? Same message with all versions

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

– Michel Hoedenaeken

Envoyé par /e/Mail sur XIAOMI Redmi Note 5 Pro sous https://e.foundation Google free mobile OS
Mastodon, Diaspora, PeerTube… : des alternatives « libres » face aux Gafam géants du Net et à leur monde orwellien…
https://www.bastamag.net

Un bloqueur de pub nous épargne une navigation lente et encombrée, et lutte contre la surveillance publicitaire, le gaspillage d’énergie et la surconsommation.

La publicité en s’introduisant partout : dans la rue, dans les médias et jusque dans nos poches, fait de nous des consommateurs à temps plein.

Elle influe notre perception du monde en exacerbant les clichés de toute nature et en polluant nos pensées et nos rêves.

Blade, the only open-sourced Spotify/Deezer client I know, has been suddenly updated first time in a year and a half and now available in Goolag Play with no trackers inside!

The Blade app looks half-dead, but seems like I’ve discovered something much better – Freezer. This is an up-to-date third-party client for Deezer, with open source code and some small piracy features.

2 Likes

are you still satisfied of freezer ?
why isn’t it on F-Droid, /e/ App or aurora store ?
(i’d like to know about trackers and permissions before installing it).

1 Like