New OS for computers

There’s a lot of operating systems for computers but none of them are good (in my opinion). My question is will E Foundation release Linux-based OS for computers? Here are some requirements:
Simple and fast installation (Fedora installer is very heavy and not handy, Ubuntu installer is a bit laggy).
The installer is automatically detecting hardware, installs all required drivers and creates configuration files. No tearing, no lags and freezes.
Supports all kind of SSDs (SATA, M.2, NVME).
Easy to use (all necessary settings can be found in GUI).
Has beatiful themes, icons, wallpapers and good font rendering.
All popular browsers and other software is available for installation from “App Store”.
Software in repositories needs to be fresh (not 2 years old like in Debian or Ubuntu but no alpha versions in stable repositories like in Arch or Fedora).
I know Gael created Mandriva Linux back in the days, I think you guys will probably create new OS in the future. I hope this is possible. Best regards.

Hi @blackpoint the ‘eOS’ is definitely on the e-roadmap. The way we will want to go ahead would be smartphones -> tablets -> computer OS. Thanks for the suggestions on the areas that would need focus. It might take some time but we are going there eventually.

1 Like

Thanks Manoj you’re good moderator and working quickly :grinning: The community seems to be nice, the forum is working pretty fast and easy to use due to it’s design and tips. I like the feature when You’re typing something and it shows you if there’s already such topic on the forum.

It feels like the site curmudgeon saying this, but… I find discourse forum so slow I usually type first on notepad for copy/paste, to avoid excruciating slowness. My hardware is older, and generally connecting over TOR, so it’s partly my choices. The “in your face” auto-tracking and statistics features get annoying, more so considering what /e/ is about.

According to Distrowatch, in addition to Debian Testing and Debian “Unstable” themselves, which are good options in my opinion, there are 10 more active distributions based on Debian Testing, and 2 based on Unstable. With a little searching you can find a distribution that fits your comfort zone of freshness versus stability.

Hello,
…I run Sparky Linux on my aging Eee-PC 901. Works perfectly, great custom GUI-Tools on top of Debian Buster (apt beeing directed at stable repos, before Buster getting officially released…). As mentionned before An Linux-based OS should be no problem, as so many exist…
Greetings !

Hello @npfp. I realised that Linux is not for me and a few yesterday I switched to Windows. Maybe I will switch back to Linux one day when it will become better (better UX, Wayland by default, Xorg will be abandoned). Best regards.

imho the ux is absolutely amazing, better than macOS!!!

1 Like