Note 4 (N910C) Fingerprint, Encryption, Auto Rotate, Set DNS and Import Contacts from SIM is Not Working

Greetings /e/ Foundation Family,

I was looking for open-source custom ROMs for my device and i found /e/ hopefully but i am bit upset because of problems i had. Let me explain.

1) How can i remove APP SUGGESTIONS and WEATHER widgets on first screen? EDIT: I received an update from an /e/ folk. “Regarding the first screen with the app suggestions and weather widgets, it is an conscious decision to make them default widgets as we believe their answer common needs. We understand this might be not of you preference.” This is acceptable but respectfully i don’t want to use that Widget.
2) Fingerprint is not working. If you remove “set fingerprint” notification message on Settings you will not see again Fingerprint Configuration menu. I tried to configure fingerprint at first boot but it didn’t detect my finger. Then i pressed Cancel for doing later but mysteriously (actually i am not surprised because i had same issue on XDA ROM [i shared below] it disappeared. I mean there is no fingerprint configuration menu anymore.
3) Import Contacts from SIM is not working. I am trying to import SIM Contacts to the phone but it is not detecting my Contacts. I used Wondershare phone to phone software in my computer for copying Contacts because also Import from .vcf file is not working.
4) Set DNS is not working in WIFI and Cellular connections. I checked with dnsleaktest[dot]com but no luck.
5) Auto Rotation is working but partly. What does mean partly? When you rebooted your phone you are able to auto rotate your screen. After 15-20 minutes if you try again you won’t rotate your screen because it won’t work anymore. You have just 1 shot.
6) The most important part is for me. Settings -> Security -> Encryption and i followed the steps. Phone rebooted and it took 2 minutes. Phone turned on completely. When i checked from Settings -> Security -> Encryption i can’t see “Encrypted” message in there. Then i thought i can do this job with different ways.

I plugged my phone to my computer. Enabled USB Debugging.

adb root
adb shell
vdc cryptfs enablecrypto wipe password foo.bar

When i entered last command phone rebooted and /e/ icon was turning (transparent gray, not bright too dark). It turned for 4 hours and i couldn’t wait anymore because i guess it is not working.

Also i enabled Local Terminal and Root access (ADB and apps) from Developer Options. And then

su (Allowed root access)
mount -o rw,remount /system

Again phone rebooted and /e/ icon turned (bright and normal colors) for hours and i released the battery for cancel the process. Didn’t work. Then also i tried with TWRP.

Rebooted to Recovery
Mount -> System
Advanced -> Terminal

I got “Error connecting to cryptd: No such file or directory” error and i gave up for now.

Also i tried with “pin” option but same results.

6a) How can i use pattern option in this syntax with 6x6 pattern scheme? I mean if i want to use “vdc enablecrypto wipe pattern ???” command how can i translate my pattern scheme in this step?

I had all of these issues with this ROM and %100 same. I was using that since 1 year and i was too happy for find this /e/ ROM but now i disappointed.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you in advance.

Thank you for your feedback :slight_smile:

If your issues aren’t solved thanks to this post, could you please raise all of them in the gitlab please ? With logs if possible. It would help the dev team to make /e/ a better OS.

I did same steps after enabled logcat. Here For password please PM. And thank you for your interest and help.

EDIT: If i got wrong errors could you please tell me step by step how can i get all logs for all of those issues?

Sadly I haven’t the necessary skills, you’ll have to wait for somebody else.

Sure. Thank you for your effort. I will be waiting.

Hi @schizo let me respond to some of your queries

One of the features we are planning on introducing in /e/ is the ability to remove default apps. This would give you as the user the right to decide what you want and do not want on your /e/ phone. This feature is a bit complicated technically to code so will take some time for us to implement. As such I do not have an ETA for it but expect we should be able to release it towards the end of this year if not earlier.

You should be able to access fingerprint under Settings >> Security & privacy >>Fingerprint

After you perform an activity on the phone if it throws an error you should take a log . That way the last entries on the log is usually related to that particular error. This could be tedious if you have a long list of issues so even a consolidated one will be ok.

One point that I wanted to check is were you having any of these issues with the stock ROM for your device? There could be cases where hardware issues could be causing problems in the phone working properly. Also please can you also run the below command from a PC with ADB enabled to check what is your device code name. This will validate if the /e/ build is for the same device. Sometimes similar model’s may have slight variations based on where it is sold and can cause errors in software behavior.

adb shell getprop ro.product.device

Thank you for your reply but i guess there is a misunderstanding available. Let me try with another way.

One of the features we are planning on introducing in /e/ is the ability to remove default apps.

I can disable apps with pm. I just wanted to remove those App Suggestions and Weather widgets from first screen. Anyway, it doesn’t matter.

You should be able to access fingerprint under Settings >> Security & privacy >>Fingerprint

Flashed .zip and installed OS. First boot is loading. You will see two (2) notification on Settings. First one is Change Your Wallpaper and second one is Configure Your Fingerprint. If you try to configure fingerprint sensor won’t detect your fingerprint. If you give up to configure fingerprint and if you press Cancel for doing that later Fingerprint menu will disappear completely. What does this mean? If you press Cancel you won’t find Fingerprint configuration menu anymore in Settings → Security. I had this same issue on that XDA ROM.

One point that I wanted to check is were you having any of these issues with the stock ROM for your device?

My cousin used this device with Stock ROM for years without any problem. Device doesn’t have hardware fault or something like that.

After you perform an activity on the phone if it throws an error you should take a log . That way the last entries on the log is usually related to that particular error. This could be tedious if you have a long list of issues so even a consolidated one will be ok.

I shared the logs in my previous message. If this is not enough please tell me the proper way.

adb shell getprop ro.product.device

treltexx

Hi @rhunault please can you have a look into this issue with a Samsung Note 4 device(treltexx).

Hi,

Thank you @schizo for sharing your feedbacks. Sorry for the bugs your are facing. As you said, it seems they are coming from the ROM itself.
Could you please open issues for each one (encryption, fingerprint) on gitlab here?
Thank you in advance

Hi,

I created the tickets.

Thank you in advance.